3. Norwegian Breakaway
I booked this cruise for its departure date, itinerary and price, only five weeks before Norwegian Breakaway sailed ex Copenhagen on 29th May. Having cruised a few times as a solo, I know well that there's no price advantage in booking last minute as a single traveller from Australia, but the chance to get away couldn't be missed. Was in a solo studio which was OK, but I was very glad my cruise was only nine days long as they are very small and can feel quite claustrophobic at times. The double bed was rock hard so I woke up with a sore back every morning and would have given anything for a comfy chair but there is no room for one. Would have been very happy with a comfy single bed to create some more floor space. I always board late so embarkation is never a problem and I was in my cabin in about 20 minutes. Had some worries about the ship being too big and crowded but it didn't feel like that most of the time. As always, by the end of nine days I had finally figured out how to find my cabin but, of course, the cruise was over by then. Having so many activities in the Atrium is a very bad idea. The noise level is dreadful and makes liaising with staff at the desks incredibly difficult. I don't envy them either, having to work for hours with the incredible din going on just a few feet away. We had a lovely South African crew member (Jamie) who met us in the solo lounge each evening and would take our group to one of the complimentary restaurants for dinner. The meals were always fine and the serving staff were friendly and happy to help. O'Sheehans - another small complimentary venue - is nice for lunch too. With such a short and port-intensive cruise it was an exhausting itinerary and there was very little time to explore the ship or get involved in other activities, but I loved the free show "Rock of Ages". Would have also seen "Burn the Floor" but the ship moved my booking and on the new night allocated I was too tired after a long day ashore, so missed it unfortunately. Used the HOHO bus at most ports, but in Russia that's not possible. Getting on and off the ship at St Petersburg takes some time but the tour guides know how it all works and wait for their guests, so no one misses out.

The Baltic in a solo studio

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by msdunn

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Studio Stateroom

msdunn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Studio Stateroom
Cabin T1 11569
Solo studio was OK, but I was very glad my cruise was only nine days long as they are very small and can feel quite claustrophobic at times.

The double bed was rock hard so I woke up with a sore back every morning and would have given anything for a comfy chair but there is no room for one. Would have been VERY happy with a comfy single bed to create some more floor space to move around.

Missed having a mini fridge but where would they put it?

The TV is fixed to the wall and is in an awkward position since sitting or lying on the bed are the only options when watching. Even the ability to adjust its angle would help but that's not possible.

Would have loved some drawers to make finding things easier but there are none provided.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins