Star Flyer Cruise Review

First Star Flyer Experience

Star Flyer Cruise Review by elklemi

• Sail Date: Mar 2018
  • Destination: the Caribbean

I booked this cruise when they offered a no single supplement offer as I have wanted to get to BVI for a long time and my Windstar cruise to BVI in December was moved to Barbados.

Flew in one day earlier as few flights available and stayed at Alicia's Inn and enjoyed being on the Boardwalk and warm temperatures. Boarding began at 4:00 PM and quickly we were led to the ship, I had cat. 6 cabin 218 which is two bunk beds. Cabin was as small as I expected and two people in room would really be cramped and no way I would risk the ladder for the upper bunk. (if you are in this room as a single the ladder will rattle on it's hanger at night so I used towel to cushion) For one person it was perfect and no problems at all. There were 82 passengers on this trip with half from US and other half from UK, Austria, Germany, Australia, Switzerland and I met a wonderful family from Austria at Alicia's Inn and they included me at their table and for meals and we spent the day together in port and they were a big reason I had such a good time, thank Alex, Jutta, and Mario. Since this is a sailing ship there is less deck space thank my past experiences and shade was at a premium. Stairs are steep and thresholds are high but I had no problems during the cruise and you do notice the motion more but I was expecting this.

Best food of any cruise I have been on and I only had breakfast and dinner with lunch being on the islands we stopped at, I had fish every night and was done perfectly and so good. They do have appetizers on deck from 5-6 and start with heavier apps first few days and less as week goes by but still plenty to choose from. I only drink beer and they listed carib on the menu but was not available but they did have a german draft that was fine once I gave it a chance. I enjoyed each Island and only wish we could have stayed longer like we did with Windstar but each was fun. They offered an excursion to the Baths in Virgin Gorda but you can get a taxi there for $4 each but I did do the train in St Kitts and enjoyed that experience. I did not care for the beach club they take you to catch the tender so I went back to my old favorite the Dock at Timothy Beach resort after the train and that was good as ever. Only one night did we have what would consider rough seas and glad it was at night and not during the day. Light shower one morning for 45 minutes and could see if in a rain storm for many hours during the day that could be a problem with where to go and do if not in port. Crew was friendly and ready to help for the most part except for the sport team.

As this was my first cruise with Star Clipper I read everything I could find before my trip to know what to expect and not a whole lot of info available but I really enjoyed my trip and seeing some Islands that I have longed to visit and sorry I had to do this after the storm as the damage visible is terrible but there are enough places open to visit and I am sure the vegetation will be coming back also. I hope to do another cruise with Star Clipper and hope this review will help others looking for information.

elklemi's Full Rating Summary

Cabin 6 216

Lowest category cabin with two bunk beds, safe in room, bathroom good size, I think would be crowded for two people but fine for 1.

St. Martin

Spent time on the Boardwalk and enough places are open to enjoy the day

Virgin Gorda

caught taxi to Baths and to another beach for $16 per person

Jost Van Dyke

Soggy Dollar Bar what else, been on my list for years and while shade gone had great time and so did the many boaters who anchored off shore and came in, fun

Scenic Railway

train thru interior of island where sugar mills were located, had drinks and snack on the trip (free) and narration during the ride, they never asked for tips for anything.

View All 303 Scenic Railway Reviews
St. Barts

If you love less crowds this is not the best choice, got off ship to walk around and saw all the high end shops and yachts in the marina, found an open air bar/restaurant that was reasonable and if you smoke you can smoke inside the reestaurants.

elklemi