3. Carnival Inspiration
I stopped cruising Carnival several years ago after a particularly bad cruise on the Carnival Spirit but this cruise coincided with grandchildren's Spring break and family birthdays and it was affordable, though by no means inexpensive. Thought the family activities were really fun, the cruise itself left me resolved to not cruise Carnival again for several more years. Two of us shared an obstructed view "junior suite" that was really an average cabin with a balcony so small that you could not sit on it without moving the chairs sideways to the rail. The view was completely blocked by a rescue ship. It seemed that there were few advantages to this class until we compared it with regular ocean view cabins on lower decks. For us, service was pretty much the same as non-suite cabins on other cruise lines with the addition of free bottled water. When we compared it to the standard ocean-view service our family received, though, it was quite different. They received once a day cabin cleaning (no turn down service) and no luggage collection for diebarkation without a special request. The ship has been redone and is generally comfortable. My one complaint was the poor lighting. Our "suite" had bedside lamps that were non-functional and extremely poor lighting in the closet areas. With closet doors opening to the entry instead of the window and no overhead or interior lights, I needed a flashlight to see the clothing storage area. This ship has one fairly small swimming pool that was usually crowded. There was a very nicely designed water slide area that was not crowded that the grandchildren really loved. Entertainment was really awful. The atrium entertainment drove me out with the volume and I spent one sad evening in the piano bar listening to a guy who really couldn't play and didn't want to. I generally avoided it. We enjoyed the spa and found the spa attendants to be better than on most ships. The one drawback there was that the ship redesign put the running track above the spa so that it was quite noisy. Dinner service was spotty. The one night that we were celebrating two birthdays, our desert order was not even taken yet when other diners had finished and left the dining room and their tables were cleared and reset for breakfast. Food was average. Though no fault of the ship, I'm sure, debarkation was delayed nearly two hours and the ensuing lines to leave the ship were extraordinarily long - 35 minutes in our case. As "suite" guests two of us had priority debarkation but chose to disembark with the family. We were unable to gain any privileges for the family, even though the fares for everyone were paid by the "suite" passengers. I would rank this as a good cruise for families with children who are cruising on a budget. Don't expect the service or amenities you might enjoy on one of the other cruise lines but you can have fun anyway.

Back to the beginnings

Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by Lscruiser

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite (obstructed views)

Lscruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Inspiration price drops

Junior Suite (obstructed views)
Cabin OB V038
I would not call this cabin a suite. It was an average sized cabin with two twin beds, a couch, and a tiny little balcony on which the chairs were so close to the rail that you could not sit on them facing the water. They had to be turned sideways. Lighting was an issue. The bed lamps were non-functional so the only alternative for reading was the very bright overhead lights near the wall. There was no lighting in or near the closets and they were extremely dark. The bathroom was fine - average size, average shower. The view is absolutely totally obstructed. I have had obstructed view cabins before where the view was obstructed a bit by a hanging lifeboat or a pole. Not this one. Expect no view.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins