3. Majestic Princess
The embarkation process wasn't too bad, as we are platinum we had priority boarding, and although we had a later scheduled time to get on, for some reason no one had gotten on by the time we arrived, but they opened it up soon after that and we got on in reasonable time. Its interesting to note that the platinum treatment is only for the first gate, once you are in the hall for immigration, there is no special treatment and you join the long queue, but it didn't bother us to wait. The boat is beautiful, its still lovely and new and fresh and very very big. You don't get to avoid doing a lot of walking on this boat. We had a mini suite and we weren't disappointed, it was lovely and roomy and well maintained. This was the first time in months the ship was opened up to the non Chinese market, so the staff onboard seemed happy to be having a change, particularly with it being a 14 day cruise, as the Chinese ones are only 4 days at a time. We had the traditional dining in Concerto restaurant which was very nicely laid out, we had table 369 which was in the middle area, and our waiter was always good and attentive. Mixed reviews about the food though, some was very good and some was just horrid, I'm not sure what beef they were using but I didn't have one beef dish that tasted nice. Sadly I'm not a seafood eater, so it meant my choices were often limited. The pizza restaurant Alfredos was very good though, ate there a couple of times and the pizzas were lovely. We didn't eat at any of the specialty restaurants as the menus didn't appeal to us, so I can't comment on them, they never looked busy though. I'm not sure why, but they didn't do the English pub in the Crown Grill for lunch on sea days, which was a shame as we usually enjoy that. As expected the buffet area is a nightmare, ventured up a couple of times to get breakfast items but other than that we avoided the place, the issue isn't the food but other passengers. The Hollywood Conservatory was a nice addition to the boat, although there isn't really enough seating there as people tend to get their early put their gear on seats and come and go as they please during the day, so we never got to enjoy relaxing on a lounge there. People seemed to be using it as a place to sleep during the day as there was a lot of snoring going on from the couches, perhaps they didn't like their luxury Princess bed to sleep in, I don't quite understand people wanting to do public sleeping. We were very disappointed that there were no happy hours, in the past we have enjoyed having an afternoon cocktail during happy hour, we went to the Platinum/Elite members afternoon nibbles on some days and they would have a special of the day, which we tried a few times but they were pretty awful to be honest, not our sort of cocktail. The other issue was that there was a problem with the billing of them and we were told it would be corrected by the end of the cruise, they did change a couple but the rest they didn't and I couldn't be bothered following up for the sake of a few dollars. Overall the cocktails on the boat were a total let down. We think perhaps the bar staff have been told to reduce the amount of alcohol in the cocktails and to substitute with sugar syrup as they were overly sweet, to the point of being undrinkable. I watched some being made and no measures were used, but a quick tip in of the alcohol followed by a big swig of the sugary mixers and huge amounts of ice. So pretty early on we just stopped having cocktails. Another issue I didn't like was that they encouraged people to book shuttles at Hakata and Busan. In Hakata there wasn't a free shuttle offered, but it was a short walk to the public bus which was a fraction of the cost they were charging, however, in Busan a free shuttle was provided as well, and those of using the free shuttle actually had better service than those who used the paid service. We were provided with maps and information, nothing was provided to those on the paid shuttle and we all ended up at the same place. It just came across as a money grab by Princess cruises and a lot of people were upset about it. On the most part the entertainment was good, they had some good acts come onboard. The first show done by the dancers was amazing, but this was the last one for that contract group of dancers, and the first show by the new dancers had a lot of timing issues, and just overall seemed to lack the magic of the first one. We didn't go to the last show which was Russian acrobats, I particularly don't like acrobat shows and by then I was very sick with a sinus infection so wasn't really leaving the room. The doctor onboard was good with giving me antibiotics, spray and cough medicine so I could at least be ready for my flight home from Singapore. My recommendations for the ports: Shanghai - we had a few days here before hopping on the boat and we had a lovely time, we took a tour via Viator to a water village and really enjoyed it. Hakata - we walked to the public bus, we hopped on the bus and hopped off at a temple and had a look around then walked to the Canal Shops, this was a nice little shopping area, we then continued walking down to the main part of town and caught the public bus back. Busan - we took the free shuttle to downtown, once there we logged onto Dynamic Busan free wifi, I had already worked out what I wanted to see, which was to go on the Busan Air Cruise gondola, so we took the public bus and walked down to the beach. The beach was really beautiful and had a lovely walkway, but the gondola wasn't working that day, but we certainly weren't disappointed with what we saw anyway. Next was Gamcheon Village, this is an amazing colourful village and you purchase a map at the entrance and walk all the way around to see many different sights and cultural items. It was very enjoyable and was not offered as a tour on the boat which was a shame as I think a lot of people would enjoy going there. We did find it hard with the language barrier, there was no understanding of us by people, however, thanks to the free wifi I was able to show them on the phone where I wanted to go and they understood, taxi is very cheap there. Hong Kong - again a free shuttle was offered to a local train station, but the line was long, and there is a public bus that does the same thing from the entrance for $6HKD each ($1AUD), so we took that. We have been to Hong Kong many times so we just visited a park, one of our favourite restaurants and a pint of cider at an Irish pub, doesn't get much better than that. It was an extremely smoggy day, so not a good day for sightseeing anyway. Ho Chi Minh City - Here we took a princess tour to the Mekong Delta, the port is a long way from town, so we spent more than half of the tour in travel time there and back, but we did enjoy learning from our guide, who was very proud of Vietnam. I wasn't about to risk eating anything that I don't know how its been prepared, so that was a bit awkward as I think they feel bad if people won't eat, but I genuinely can't risk getting sick with my fickle stomach. We went on a sampan ride and a paddle boat ride, all of which was an interesting experience. Bangkog - again you are a very long way from town, so again, for 5 hours of bus rides, we got about 4 hours to see some sights. We were lucky that our friend lives in Bangkok so he was there to great us and show us around some temples and the Grand Palace, it was very hot and humid there, which wasn't great as I had a sinus infection by then. Our bus was pulled over on the return journey as apparently the policeman had a 'complaint' about how fast the driver was going, but a quick check of the driver and guide's wallet seemed to make the complaint go away.

It's a shame they are economising on the things we enjoy.

Majestic Princess Cruise Review by Tracy H

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Asia

My recommendations for the ports:

Tracy H’s Full Rating Summary
Get Majestic Princess price drops

Cabin E226
We did like our cabin, having the couch area was good, particularly when I wasn't well and spent a lot of time in the room. However, there is an issue with this room and that it is that it is interconnecting with cabin E224. The first couple of nights it didn't bother us too much, we could hear everything the loud Americans were discussing in the room so provided more entertainment than annoyance. But then on the third night it would appear that they slept with their balcony door open and this created a huge wind tunnel and whistling noise in our cabin and we got very little sleep. We reported it to the room steward and he arranged for the door seal to be siliconed to reduce the problem happening again, we moved into warmer waters and they didn't leave the balcony door open all night again, but we still knew every time they had the door open as there was still a whistling effect. I would not recommend getting a room with an interconnecting door if you can help it.
  Majestic Princess Deck Plans