3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
We have been on 4 previous Transatlantic voyages and as we suddenly found we had a week available we made a late booking with Cunard. Cabin selection was limited and we ended up with a midships deck 8, obstructed balcony that was fine for a Transatlantic crossing. Cunard could only offer us BA London to New York (our least favourite airline) so we opted to do our own flights. Travelled with Norwegian on the day of the voyage. A bit worrying as if you are late they do not wait for you as you have arranged your own travel. However, left LGW 1/2hr late at 6am, arrived JFK on time at 0830am and through immigration by 9am (May 2017 3 hrs at Newark). 5 minute wait for our previously arranged Limo and at the cruise terminal by 1030am. Straight through security and a 45 minute wait for check in to open (3hr queue June 2015). At 12noon wheelchairs were called forward and we were on-board and having lunch by 1230. Best embarkation ever. Second sitting in the Britannia and found we were next to the waiters pantry, but were moved immediately we made a request. Tried a bottle of wine at dinner, $30 plus 15%, greatly overpriced, possibly £5 in Waitrose, and did not go there again. If they made it a more realistic price I'm sure they would sell more. Shows were generally good. I am not into magicians but on the last night the magician was exceptional, well worth going. I felt that the daytime lectures were very slanted and not to my taste but there is always something to do so no problem. One night I was not feeling up to the menu in Britannia and our waiter asked if I would like a steak and I agreed to this. He sent his number 2 off for this and when it was presented to me it had obviously been sitting around for some time. It was overcooked, dry and tough. I showed the waiter this and he immediately sent his number 2 off again, this time with a better result. I did not complain but obviously our waiter did as I was then visited by the head waiter for a personal apology. We did have a problem with our room early in the voyage and they were unable to rectify this and as the ship was full they could not move us. We had to remain out of our room all day whilst they carried out a temporary repair and they did compensate us. However, what has dragged down my rating is the clock changing sequence they now follow. When we first started travelling transatlantic clocks were moved forward 1 hr during the night. During the evening turn down service the steward would tune the TV to show a message advising you to put your watch forward by 1 hr. They now change the clocks a 12noon. My wife is an early bird and we go to lunch at 12 but suddenly find it is 1pm, this rapidly runs into the afternoon activities and you have diners on a late lunch clashing with afternoon tea. This is our second voyage where they have done this, I have written to Cunard to ask why but have not received a reply. Other Carnival lines such as Princess and P&O still change overnight so why do Cunard insist on Mid-Day. The recent refit has greatly improved the Kings Court, and they have changed the soft ice cream machine at long last. As we live in Southampton I offered to send them 50p so they could walk 70yds along the road to IKEA to buy an ice cream and see how it should be done. They now have 2 machines and the product is much better. Little bit of excitement on our final sea day. A passenger had unfortunately been taken ill and we had to turn about at noon for the Coast Guard helicopter. This caused a delay in our arrival in the Solent (10 cruise ships in that day) and so we missed our slot and were an hour late, but I don't think anyone begrudged this and we all wished our unfortunate fellow traveller a full recovery. As a late decision it did work out very well, but it is a bit worrying knowing that you are travelling on the day of departure and if it goes wrong it is down to you, but anything was better than travelling with BA.

Good in Parts

JRHYTHE’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Balcony, obstructed view
Cabin DF 8093
Quiet location, pity about the problem we experienced
Deck 8 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins