3. Westerdam
This was our first official cruise (other was a get on-get off style), so we just went with friends' recommendation they'd never been disappointed with HAL. Overall, it was a good experience. I cannot commend the staff enough. From our room stewards, to the food and bar service folks--basically, all those people keeping things tidy, filled, emptied, or whatever--we haven't a single complaint or even hint at below par service. Next cruise (whether HAL or other), I'd shop for independent shore excursions. While those we got were fine and most likely the same as we'd get independently, the price was a bit high. That's only from things I learned afterward. The harsh cancellation terms (e.g., pay 100% for not going) could be softened a bit. I also suggested to HAL that if there were going to re-paint the verandas, making them unusable for a couple of days, a bit of compensation would be in order. After all, we paid for that veranda for the full trip, not just part of it. Internet price sucked. I'd suggest providing a shorter term service such as 12 hours for half the price of the 24-hour service. After all, we have to sleep sometime and end up paying for time we're unconscious. Too many of these little fee dings tend to leave a sour taste. Yeah, HAL needs to turn a profit, but I'm suggesting ways to make guests more comfortable without it costing much to do so. On the whole, however, it was a good cruise. We saw lots of good stuff. The stops were in good places. Staff was fantastic. Both of us getting sick and having lousy return to USA flights are a separate issue and not HAL's responsibility.

Great Staff

IMNOFUN’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 5007
Comfortable. Plenty of room for the two of us. The veranda was plenty big enough. No complaints at all.
Observation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins