Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review
2,269 Reviews

Good cruise with some issues

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by kaemom

• Sail Date: Aug 2017
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

If you are travelling with children, or even without, there is plenty to do on this ship. Ice skating rink, mini golf, flowrider, water slides, kids pool area, etc. You won't be bored on sea days.

The embarkation was outdoors, hot, and long. Bring an extra change of clothes for the first day, you will need to change! The porters even asked for tips (the porters who just took your bag and put it aside). I've always heard you shouldn't ask. That was rude.

Some areas of the ship seemed dated but overall it was very clean. We had a balcony stateroom. The balcony was more private than other ships we've been on. The stateroom had many storage areas. We didn't even use them all. The steward was nice but a little more knocking before entering would have been good. If all parties are in the room, you may want to use the extra lock. I don't think vacuuming occurred in our stateroom but I did see a vacuum cleaner in the hall.

Areas where improvement is needed: Stop trying to sell more stuff. From the moment we got on to the very last night, there was soliciting to buy extra. Although my husband had bought the drink package, they tried to sell me one. This was after I told them I drank mostly water. He said I could get bottled water with the package. Really?? Every cruise compass came stuffed with flyers for extra stuff. On the last night, as we walked to the Windjammer, the staff from the specialty restaurant came up to us, offering buy one, get one free dinner. We were dressed in shorts and t-shirts and clearly looking for a casual setting. The onscreen mailbox had 12-15 sale messages each day.We stopped looking at it.

If you have thoughts of room service, be aware that items from the main dining room aren't available. The selection is limited and there will be a $7.95 service charge. We had planned to have formal night on our balcony. It wasn't going to happen.

The refrigerator is just a cooler. We needed ice to keep medicine cold.

What was great: First, there are multiple elevators, sometimes 7 in a section. You won't wait long. I loved the interactive boards throughout the ship. No need to carry your cruise compass around. You can push a button to find out what is going on in any language. The promenade area was cool. I've never been on a ship with one before. I liked it!

There are so many activities. You won't get bored. It would be very easy for multi-generational family to be entertained and we saw several family reunion groups.

The service was very friendly. Only one rude encounter and I'm going to let it go.

The food: We ate in the main dining room twice. It was very good and the service was impeccable. We ate in the Windjammer the rest of the time. The food was average. However, at many peak times, parts of the Windjammer were closed. I don't understand why. It led to long lines at peak times. We tried to time our meals off peak.

Overall, it was a good cruise. I've never been on a bad cruise. It just seems like a lot has changed since our last time and some of the changes are not for the better, I think.

kaemom's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Deck 6, balcony. Spacious with lots of storage areas. Shower was very small for a claustrophobic person. Twin beds pushed together and were very comfortable.

San Juan

We just went from the airport to the ship. The taxi prices were fair. To be honest, some parts of our ride looked sketchy and we were glad we didn't stay overnight. However, we have been to other parts of Puerto Rico and they were nice.

St. Maarten

We enjoyed walking around this area but were very disturbed by people constantly coming up to try to sell us something. The walk from the pier to the main shopping area is about 20 minutes.

Kayaking

We booked with this independent company before our cruise. We were able to kayak, snorkel, hike, and enjoy refreshments. It was a wonderful experience, less than $60. each and well worth it. Very nice folks and our group was only about 15 people.

St. Lucia

We were so disappointed. We had been to St. Lucia before, had a wonderful time with the wonderful people of the island. This time, we debarked in a city area. Every step of the way was someone trying to get you to go with them or buy something from them. The prices varied widely and some sounded sketchy. (don't pay until we pick you up) We were there less than 15 minutes and got right back on the ship. I'm glad we were able to experience St. Lucia previously so we know what it is really like.

Barbados

This was our favorite port of all. The dock area allowed shopping without the pressures of the other ports. The information desk was very helpful in telling us about different beaches. The taxi prices were posted. We went to Carlisle Beach. It was $5. per person to taxi there. When you arrived, you could do lots of activities for way less than the ship excursion prices. (swim with turtles, etc.) We chose to rent a chair and an umbrella for $10. We went swimming in the crystal clear water and saw little fish. One tourist even found a starfish. There were sellers there but there were also security people to keep the tourists from being harassed. It was a beautiful beach.

kaemom