3. Viking Rolf
We had heard from friends that they had really enjoyed Viking, but as first time cruisers, we had trepidations as we had always planned our own vacations and transportation. We are now hooked. From the excellent airfare and being met at the airport to the final farewell, our experience was top flight all the way. The Rolf is a beautifully appointed new ship. Villeroy and Bosch fixtures, lots glass, comfortable quarters, great lounge and dining room -- we could not have been more impressed. I get sea sick, but you cannot feel the ship moving at all even through a lock. The service was amazing. Our flight got in early so we were on the boat at 7:30 AM. We had a lovely breakfast and then our room was ready. They had expedited it since we were on board already. Beata, the hotel manager, was on top of everything. Lionel, our program director, was so efficient and best of all -- so much fun. I am a retired European History teacher and the guides were very knowledgable. Not one slip up or mistake. Ann Marie was our guide to a side trip to Honfleur in Normandie and she was excellent. I would not have changed a thing about the itinerary. The Normandy beaches were just plain amazing and terrifying at the same time. I have no idea who anyone survived. Viking put on a special ceremony for us at the American cemetery and we were each given a rose to put on a grave. I cried the entire time. It was very very moving. At the end of the cruise, we had signed up for the three day extension to the Loire Valley. We were the only people who signed up and we had our own private Mercedes van, driver, and guide. I think the rest of the people wanted to see Hyclere House where Downton Abbey was filmed and I had just been to UK the month before. The Loire trip was like a dream. Pertrilla, our guide, was wonderful and so knowledgable about the chateaus and cathedrals. David, our driver, was terrific. I always end up driving on vacation since we usually go to UK and I am used to right hand drive. It was so nice not to worry about a thing. In conclusion, I cannot say enough good things about Viking. Attention to detail, fabulous service, well planned trip -- it was all there and I was so relaxed at letting professionals handle every aspect of our trip!

A Simply Stunning Vacation!

Viking Rolf Cruise Review by Lowcountrygardener

Lowcountrygardener’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Rolf price drops

The cabin was small compared to a regular hotel room, but we were very happy with it because it was so well designed. We are both tall and yet we never felt cramped. i get claustrophobic, but never felt it with the lovely windows and balcony. There was a place for everything so we could put all of our clothes away. Nothing was left to chance. It was perfect.
  Viking Rolf Deck Plans

• Paris
    A wonderful trip through the countryside of Normandie. We stopped for a delicious lunch at an inn and then proceeded through Deauville and on to Honfleur. Our guide, Ann Marie, was so good on her history. We loved Honfleur. Lots of vacationers from France and UK, but an interesting place to walk around.
    View All 12,789 Paris Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Paris Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Our guide, Thierry, has worked with Rick Steves. He was very good and very fun to be with. We saw the highlights so we could come back later and see what we wanted to see more of. Good over view of the city.
    View All 85 City Tour Reviews
  • D-Day Beaches
    Viking held a special ceremony for us at the American cemetery. We each received a rose to place on a grave. Living veterans on the trip were also honored. There was not a dry eye. I have a little jar of Omaha Beach sand that I am donating to our local VFW post.
    View All 66 D-Day Beaches Reviews
  • Monet at Giverny Gardens
    Of course, I could have spent several days in this garden, but I thought we had enough time to wander on our own. It is extensive and quite amazing although it breaks every rule in garden design!
    View All 63 Monet at Giverny Gardens Reviews
  • Versailles
    The lines were huge, but with Viking, we skipped the lines and got in ahead of the crowd. Lots of time to visit the gardens and see the fountain displays. Great guide.
    View All 53 Versailles Reviews