3. Volendam
We chose this cruise because of our wish to see the inside passage and Alaska. It had reasonably good reviews but we had seen that previous passengers had commented about the constant "sales pitch". Embarkation went well but we were given information about Norovirus and guidance about how to avoid it. The previous cruise had resulted in an undisclosed number of passengers being affected and the ship had been cleaned to prevent further infection. At all entry points and entry to restaurants there were sanitizers and staff encouraging their use. This was our first cruise and first impressions were of a very smart and well presented ship; food in the Lido was fresh and plentiful and we felt optimistic about the trip. We cannot fault the food or the cabins [staterooms as they are called] but what did start to irritate was the constant attempts to sell and sell more - it seemed every effort was made to part us with our money...We ordered wine and sometimes the waiter recommended a "better" wine; only US$10 more! [+15% of course]. We organised a couple of trips and were excited about them. The choice was huge almost too many to chose from? Everyday another "opportunity" to attend a presentation about jewellery or watches [in the hope you'd buy one] was posted to our cabin. What finally made me realise this wasn't for me was when I got Norovirus. We had been scrupulously careful about hand hygiene, but nevertheless I still got it. We declared that I had D&V and received a call from the Medical Centre asking questions about where we had eaten and how I was feeling. We discussed my quarantine, which I fully understood - I didn't want to go anywhere or speak to anyone! I was asked if I had medication for D&V; I said my husband could go to the shop and pick up something but the Practitioner offered to send medication along to the cabin. I thought that was thoughtful, that was until I saw I had been charged US$17! I was also advised that I could order what I wanted from the room service menu at no charge! I think the intention was supposed to be caring but I couldn't even face reading about food - let alone eating it! Maybe it was poor phraseology, I don't know but it felt like I was supposed to feel grateful???? Needless to say that mu quarantine was the day we had a trip planned and of course mine was immediately refunded, but my husband had to make a stand to get his refunded - of course he wanted to be around to look after me??? We discovered that quite a few passengers had been affected - being at the lower end of the age range I shook it off quite quickly but I would be concerned for some of the more frail passengers for whom the virus could be very debilitating. The scenery and wildlife that we saw was amazing and we learned about the history of Alaska and its heritage. The staff were welcoming and keen to ensure that guests had a good time. Many of the guests looked as thought they were having a good time and had been on other cruises and rated it well. Maybe its just me? I got off the ship feeling that I was just someone to be sold to and that there had been a quest to part me from my money.

Perhaps cruising is not for me?

Volendam Cruise Review by Churtsunseeker

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

Churtsunseeker’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin D
The cabin was spacious and very comfortable. The beds can be configured to be a double or twins; however as a double the light switches are behind the pillows and when you move, the lights go on or off!

There is plenty of storage space and lots of hangers for clothes!
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins