3. Radiance of the Seas
When one contracts for a cruise we expect, at a minimum, two important things. First we expect a reasonable level of safety be provided throughout the cruise, and second we expect professionally run tours to enhance the experience of visiting new places. My wife and I recently returned from two back to back cruises on Royal Caribbean, around Australia and New Zealand and we experienced neither. My entire professional life was spent in the area of public safety, 45 years in the fire service, fifteen of these with the New York State Fire Marshall’s Office of the Fire Protection and the final 7 years as Director of Building Codes and Enforcement for the State of New York. I believe my experience quantifies me to comment on the lack of safety of the tenders, small boats, contracted for passenger shuttle in Bali, Indonesia. Our ship, Radiance of the Seas, did not dock in Bali, these tenders were used to ferry us to the dock and back to the ship, on what should have been a thirty minute trip. These enclosed boats held 90 passengers, had one exit, were powered by up to eight 300 Hp. Gasoline powered out board engines, they reeked of gasoline fumes. Some of us spent an hour circling waiting to get back on the ship, one spark and we would have been incinerated. Indonesia has one of the worst records in the third world countries. I considered this to be one of the most dangerous environments have ever been in. When I complained about the lack of safety of these tenders to Philip Ashcroft, the Hotel Director of the Radiance, he said both he and the Captain Severre Ryan did not like the tenders also and were going to make their feelings known to management. Even though I left my business card I never heard another thing about it. On over half of our tour busses the PA systems did not work so we could not hear the tour guides comments. On our overnight tour from Milford Sound to Queenstown, New Zealand we spent over twenty hours on the bus in two days and were only allowed 6 hours sleep in the hotel in Queenstown. Another example of poor planning, we could have rejoined the ship in Akaroa instead of Dunedin and had a pleasant 3 day trip instead of the two day ordeal we experienced. The food in the dinning room was good and above average. Our servers were attentive and personable. We enjoyed our meals because of the servers who were always watching to see if we needed anything and we even got extra servings without asking or sometimes we got samples to taste. Our cabin person was average although when I was quarantined he was always there to see to my needs. We think that the center atrium of the ship where on the bottom they had entertainment every day/evening made it difficult to rest/veg out in the library, sitting area, card playing, etc...

Not Royal Caribbean's best show of concern, and the worst cruise ever

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by georgejr

georgejr’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Cabin was surface clean and was well cared for every day of our cruise
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans