3. Carnival Splendor
We selected this cruise for price and ports. It was very reasonable for an eight night cruise and visited five ports. I just finished a major renovation of my condominium so I did not want to spend a lot of money on a vacation this year. I actually went on this cruise with no expectations and the idea to just have fun. Having grown up in Miami, I have been on many cruises in my life time and the last time I went on a Carnival cruise prior to this one was in 2005, and at that time I was not impressed with the Carnival product. Fast forward to 2016, and I decided to give Carnival another try. I have to say I was very impressed with this ship and the overall experience. Embarkation was extremely fast and in less than 30 minutes we were on-board the ship, sitting at the bar and having a drink. Drink prices were reasonable, and I was impressed with the large number of bartenders on board, we rarely had to wait more than two minutes to get a drink. The food was adequate and to my surprise actually better than I expected. Dinners were good with the exception of only one night when I did not like the menu and there was nothing I wanted to order. Both the breakfast and lunch buffets were adequate with a large selection of all types of food choices. I would say the buffets were very similar to the buffets on Royal Caribbean and MSC. Breakfast buffet did not have any berries, but there is a large selection of other fruits including melons. etc. The omelette station was very good and I really enjoyed the choices provided to make an omelette. I also found the other dining venues to be good including the Indian restaurant (Tandor), as well as the deli. Overall food on this ship exceeded my expectations. We booked a porthole on the main deck, cabin 2212. This cabin was adequate but the noise from the bow thrusters and the anchor chain was loud. The cabin was adequate and was a basic cabin. Karaoke was good and well attended and overall there were many activities. The comedians in The Punchliner were very good, and from time-to-time they pick on people in the audience, so be aware, if you sit close you might be called on. We really enjoyed the comedy shows, the only drawback is that the shows last 30 minutes, then everybody has to clear out of the El Morocco Lounge to make room for the next show. The few things I did not like were that no water was allowed on board the ship, I stopped off on the way to the port and bought a six pack of water (sealed) and it was confiscated at embarkation. I don't like the taste of ship water! Another thing that drove me up the wall is the lady's voice who called the bingo game, what an irritating voice, and after a while her jokes got old. All games have a 49 ball limit for the large prize, even on the last day, nobody won. The cruise director - MarQ appears to be a novice and in my opinion is not ready to be a cruise director on such a large ship, he seemed to have a hard time connecting with all passengers. The shows were disappointing, the shows basically consisted of the same dancers in different costumes dancing to different music every night, there was no live music in the show lounge which takes away from the quality. Finally, the music in the disco was HORRIBLE, with all the great music the DJ consistently played weird music and this was disappointing. We did the cave tubing excursion in Belize and it was great! We had a fantastic guide and this was a great day, we loved it. The only port of call that I did not like was Costa Maya. We took an excursion to Chacchoben, what a waste of time!!! It is about a 45 minute ride to get there from the port and there is basically nothing to see with the exception of three small pyramids. One tour guide said an open area was used by the Mayans as an open market, like a flea market, another said the same exact area was used as a public bathroom with outhouses. The tour "guides" make up what ever they want to say. There are no signs to guide you to explain what you are seeing. During our tour a crazy woman who works in the attraction verbally assaulted us and accused us not paying a fee to get into the attraction yet we were on a tour. Don't waste you money! Don't waste your money on Chacchoben, stay in the enclosed area which has a nice pool and shops, that is what I wish we had done. Overall, I like this cruise and the overall experience exceeded my expectations.

A Pleasant Surprise !

Fun in the Florida Sun’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Porthole
Cabin PT 2212
This is a basic cabin, somewhat small but sufficient. The only thing I did not like was noise from the anchor chain as the cabin is near the bow (front) of the ship, and one night I could hear water splashing up on the ship and could not sleep.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    Don't waste your money! It is a 45 minute ride to get to these ruins, there are three small pyramids, basically nothing to see. Tour guides are not knowledgeable about these ruins. One said an open area was used as a open air market, like a flea market, another said the same area was used as as open bathroom area with outhouses. Very disappointing. I would recommend staying in the port area that has a really nice pool and shops.
    View All 378 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews