3. Ovation of the Seas
I felt it necessary to do a review of this vessel and perhaps help others alleviate their fears. Please do your homework and you will be happy. Firstly we are grandparents 62 67 sailed only 5 times and would prefer a smaller ship as we dont require flowriders etc but this time we were trying to make a great memory for our 8 and 11 yr grandchildren who traveled without parents and shared an obstructed balcony cabin 6598. Truly wonderful fun together experiences we had. Firstly the que to get onboard. We did this and disembark at peak. Both was organised but very time consuming and long. Good facebooking time. Secondly the cabin. Yes sure def more squeezy with 4 but certainly do able and I'm sure bigger than usual. Considering we only slept there this time. Heaps of cupboard space. We took only two large suitcases and easily fit both with the smaller two inside under bed. Surprising we had quite a water vista over the lifeboats. Balcony rail is clear glass and my tall 8 yr old could barely get his chin on it so def no falling worries. Not to mention the lifeboat and lower deck so all fab there. Our cabin cleaner was Uun and though gratuities paid we just had to tip him extra. Hard working and accommodating. He made the kids bed come lounge back to visa versa daily so we had more room to dress and move around. Massive time consuming job. The usual kettle tea milk in rooms. Take yr own coffee as sachets are not provided anywhere or on any RCL vessels. Varied tea and cocoa easily found and if you want more milk than the tiny containers provided inroom get it from Windjammer in morning as they have small cartons around the yoghurt. Take your own shampoo etc only liquid soap in shower. No laundry rooms on RCL so unless you have money to waste just pack more clothes and wash when you get home. Don't attempt to take an iron or electrical leads. It will be detected and you will have your bag kept until they get time to find you so you can open. Then item kept until you disembark.Plug ins you need American and they have USB. . You can take two bottles of wine or champers per cabin on embarkation only but no spirits. Take in you hand carry or once again it will be detected and same as above. It all just waste precious holiday time. More Ques! Oh yest there are and please expect it. 4,500 passenger so you would be nuts to think otherwise. Take your patient happy cap with you and things will be fine. We had a truly wonderful experience because we knew what to expect and went with the flow. Were prepared, time organised. I have to talk kids because thats what we were there for. The Adults only Solarium with its own restaurant looked fabulous but sadly like most restaurants were not experienced. Firstly the ship is soo humongous we did not travel by stair from our 6 floor to 14th. An issue in itself as you can imagine. Perfectly healthy fit people and children like ourselves who usualy use the stairs used the lifts so quite often we waited patiently at them. I had a deck plan of the ship I made up myself with our room noted the areas we would be visiting and lift location so we always knew which way to head leaving cabin. I also noted the food venues if they are free or not etc so we knew from word go . I used magnets to attach this to wall with daily planner and any pre booked activities. This way we lost no time finding and more time enjoying. You must have a guardian letter if you are not the parents. For insurance purposes the ship must have everyone sign waivers prior to attempting IFLY etc. You can do the IFLY Flowrider Climbing Wall Trapese together just next to climbing wall. You get a stay on band that denotes what a certain age/size child adult can do. The dodgem cars are pretty flexi but roller skating is another u need a waiver done at the first session you attend. Floor is slippery at that. I think rubber wheels might help alleviate. Parents be aware any child under 13 must have an adult on standby at most things. If you don't attempt to get to these venues early at session times there will be ques. Though my grandchildren occupied themselves doing everything possible on the ship they did go to the child care on a cold wet day and loved it. Went all day at usual session times 6-12 2-5 7-10. They went into the voyagers group 8-11yrs and I signed a waiver to allow them to leave anytime. I did this at the registration time often second morning of cruise. This way either could come and go when they chose. The kids took less time to find their way around the ship than we did. You are not able to put untrained children into care and they must be 3 yrs. They had $7 per hour child care from 10-2am. We did not use it. We ensured we were all decked out in waterproof watches as timing is paramount and though the ship advised the wrist key card bands were in rooms they weren't. I located them for the kids at guest services another que and pls don't go there with petty things. I actually heard someone telling them there was dust above the lift lights and on top of their TV. I couldn't find any on mine but then again I was on the ship to enjoy. Now these wrist bands are $US 4.95 and worth every cent. Stayed on their wrist the entire time so I was never worried they wouldn't be able to get into the room. I had these credited so they could play a couple of the non free games $2 and buy the odd drink. Of course everything needs your key card or wrist band for identification or payment. Mostly what the kids wanted was free so no biggy. Free soft serve on pool deck most of the day next to bar. Lemonaide and juice kids could add to Windjammer. That place also had all the junk food they could fit in. Good food too of course but only on our plates. I don't think I saw a green thing on theirs in the 6 days. Waffles chocolate and cream for breakfast, burgers noodles and the chip que for lunch etc. I watched on eating my muesli or Sushi. and salad. I liked the fresh air open seating right at the back in Windjammers. This venue is truly an upmarket busy food hall. Firstly and thank goodness everyone has to que to wash their hands. Next find yourselves a table so you can find each other to eat, someone save the table while the others walk among the 2,000. Honestly though Food and service was anything but food hall just very busy. Everyone was working flat out. Should I talk about food. Probably not. I'm not fussy. Just love not having to cook or clean. Lots of eating venues though once again busy at normal times. We had dinner with linen tablecloths only two nights because the kids preferred casual. Granddad shouted the extra $30 ea for crayfish one night. The turf with the surf was the best. There are 4 large free restaurants open nightly with two fixed seating times and of course you have those who chose my time which means you can book daily to try to eat at a time of your choice in one of the venues of your choice. I did say try. Generally you can do this by the phone in your room. I liked the casual yummy toasties and salad bar at Two70 and the venue there was amazing. Lounge seating looking at the techno goings on was right up my alley. Free Pizza was good at Sorrentos and I liked having them make my own. It is such a mind blowing electronic vessel. Even the robot bar was enjoyed by us all as it had $4 non alcoholic drinks the kids could try their hand at. Our grandchildren had not had experience at large production shows and truly enjoyed the nightly entertainment. LIVE LOVE LEGS and PIXELS especially. My grandson and husband did not get DREAM but my granddaughter came away telling me it was sad. They loved the Hypnotist. We booked the late shows as other entertainment was on early. You should book online for these unless you have longer than six days and I'd suggest definitely booking IFLY and NORTHSTAR. Make sure you turn up 20 min early to everything to help get best seats and don't try getting to IFLY or NORTHSTAR less than 30 or you may lose your booking and be debited a fee. Don't forget socks. Mostly they can fit you with shoes but socks. (Hygiene thing I think.) If you have to watch the kids. Do it pleasurely. Do this by go getting a couple of cakes or cheese platter and enjoy with cuppa or wine. A book. Cheese was out about 4ish at Windjammer. Yep. Usual pretty expensive prices and the gratuities on top. We managed to enjoy ourselves no prob with the purchase of one package. If we wanted drinks same time Grandad paid the cheaper on my card.. Coffee. Mmm seemed a big big issue as most Aussies just love their Chai or late. One!. You need to know you must be prepared to purchase the Late and be prepared to que. Otherwise just surrender. See whats going on before you purchase the coffee package. Stick on a caffeine patch and get it out of the urn and remember the book. The electronic butterfly wall, the wonderful art outside each lift, the hotdogs the outdoor movie the waterplayground they gym. No sorry. Did not have time for that. Loved it Loved it. Thanks RCL

New Experience