3. Adventure of the Seas
My husband and I flew into San Juan on 12/2 from Fort Lauderdale, FL on Spirit Airlines. Things went smoothly at the Fort Lauderdale airport, went through security with a bottle of water and they made me take a drink before I could pass through. They hand checked my backpack and we were through the security check in 5 minutes. This was at 8:30am on a Sunday. Our flight left Fort Lauderdale at 10:50pm and arrived in San Juan at 2:30pm (local time). Taxis are easy to find and we paid $20 (including tip) for the ride to the pier. I think we arrived at the pier at a very crowded time (around 3:30pm). No one came to help us with our luggage and we had no idea with whom to leave it with. I finally found a Royal Caribbean representative who told me I needed to leave my luggage with the appropriate porter, according to what deck my cabin was on. I think I talked to 3 different porters before I was actually able to find the correct one to leave my luggage with. No one offered to help carry the luggage even though I had tip money in my hand. In my opinion this was very disorganized compared to the terminal in Miami. Once inside the terminal we followed the crowd and were seated in chairs. We were told that if we had already filled out all of the forms we didn't need to sit in the chairs, just proceed to the check in counter. This line moved very fast and we were soon on our way up the gangway! They took our pictures for our Super Charge cards and then we were on the Adventure. All I can say is WOW! She is a beautiful ship and still had the "new" ship smell! We went to our cabin to put down our carry-on luggage. We had a balcony room on deck 7, starboard, aft. The cabin had a connecting door, so I was afraid that we might hear a lot of noise from the cabin next door, but we never heard a word. This was our first balcony cabin and we thought the room was very spacious. We loved having a balcony! Lots of closet and drawer space and plenty of room under the beds to store your luggage. We then went to the Island Grill for lunch. Lunch was served until 5pm(only on embarkation day). The layout of the Windjammer and Island Grill is very nice. DEcor was uplifting and light with lots of tables and pretty views from the floor to ceiling windows. Tables were cleared promptly and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Lots of food choices to choose from and some of the best desserts I have ever tasted (I love chocolate!). We then took a tour of the ship. Everything was so amazing! The Royal Promenade was incredible! How I wish I was back on board right now! We returned to our cabin at 6pm to find our luggage had already been delivered and was inside our cabin. We met our cabin steward, Martin, and he took very good care of us throughout the week. We had 2nd seating for dinner at a table for 2 in the Vivaldi dinning room. Our waiter was Jaroslaw from Poland and our assistant waiter was Charlie from the Philippines. They were both wonderful! There was always a coke waiting for me when I walked into the dinning room and replaced with another one before I finished the first. My glass of milk and my husband's cup of coffee always arrived with dessert. We didn't have to ask for anything. The service was superb! Our favorite dishes were the filet mignon, lobster tails, chicken cordon blue, shrimp scampi, and prime rib. I ordered 2 desserts on the first night because I just couldn't make up my mind and from then on Jaroslaw knew I loved chocolate and would always bring me an array of desserts! Hmmm....can I blame him for the 5 pounds I gained during the cruise? The shows in The Lyric were very good. I couldn't stop laughing during the performance by Ronn Lucas, Ventriloquist (this was his last show on board the Adventure). Don't miss the show with "Rain." They look and sound just like the Beatles! Can't stop the Rock and Velvet Rope by the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers was also very good. The ice show, Cool Art/Hot Ice, was incredible! You could pick up tickets beginning on Monday for the 4 shows, 2 on Wednesday and 2 on Thursday. The announced the distribution of tickets several times, so you will definitely know when they become available. About the ports Aruba We rented an automatic jeep with air-conditioning from Avis at the pier. There is a parking lot right next to the pier where you can park the jeep and hop back onboard for lunch or a quick nap. We went to the California Lighthouse and then went to Arashi Beach and did a little snorkeling. This beach is very pretty with small grass huts for shade and nice soft sand. There were only about 6 other people on the beach with us. We stopped off at the ship for a quick bite to eat and then went to see the Natural Bride. Our final stop was at Baby Beach. The beach was pretty crowded and there was not any shade to be found. The sand is hard and the beach is not pretty like Arashi Beach. On the other hand the snorkeling at this beach is wonderful! If you head out towards the rocks to the left of the beach, past the inlet, you will see a lot of coral and all kinds of fish. This was the best snorkeling we have ever done! Curacao We walked into town for a little shopping, but the weather was extremely hot....so we quickly returned to the ship. After lunch we took the Snorkeling Excursion offered from RCCL. The boat departed from the pier for a 30min ride to our snorkeling destination. We snorkeled by a sunken tugboat surrounded by lots of fish. They gave us bread to feed the fish and they would eat right out of our hands! On the way back to the pier they served rum punch, rum and coke, or soda. We enjoyed the trip! St. Martin Shopping, shopping, and more shopping. Make sure to stop at the Guavaberry Emporium for a taste of their Guavaberry Colada! I bought a bottle of Guavaberry Liqueur and I am ready to make some coladas and try to pretend I am back on board the Adventure! St. Thomas We did the 9am Captain Nautica Snorkeling offered through the ship. This excursion was a lot of fun! We boarded a power raft for a fun and thrilling ride to our first snorkeling destination. The ride is very bumpy, so if you have neck or back problems this is not the tour for you. After the fist snorkeling stop we had fresh fruit and beverages (coke, diet coke, sprite, water). The second stop was on St. John in the National Park. We saw a lot of fish and coral and were able to swim up to Honeymoon Beach. This beach looked like a postcard! We had some shrimp cocktail and beverages on the way back to the pier. This was a wonderful excursion and I would highly recommend it! Sea Days There were always a lot of chairs available, but the ones closest to the pool fill up fast. We watched the belly flop contest, played miniature golf, went ice-skating, and my husband went rock climbing. There was something for everyone on this ship! Don't forget to check out the peek-a-boo bridge and the bow with the helipad! The gym looked great! Lots of equipment (free weights and machines), separate saunas for men and women, and a whirlpool that was always empty. We only went in here to weigh ourselves! Ironic, don't you think?? The solarium was also very nice with a nice size pool and 2 large hot tubs. The chairs in the solarium were padded and very comfy. If you want a to get away from all of the partying on the pool deck, go to the solarium pool. The formal nights were on the days at sea, Monday and Thursday. Formal portraits were available at multiple locations in the Centrum. The Gala Buffet was on Thursday. Viewing was from 11:30-12:30am and then the buffet was open from 12:30-1:30am. We did not try Portofino, but heard it was excellent. Jester's nightclub was really neat! Make sure to take a look inside even if you don't like the "dance club" atmosphere. Debarkation began around 8:30am when they started calling flight numbers. Our flight did not leave until 3:40pm, so we left the ship around 11am even though our tag color had not been called. We took a taxi to the Crown and Anchor in Old San Juan for $11. We left our luggage there and went to check out El Morro fort. After that it was off to the airport (by taxi $16) and home to Florida. This was a wonderful cruise and I can't wait to return to the sea! If you are planning on taking a cruise on the Adventure I am sure you will have a wonderful time! December 2001

Adventure of the Seas

Curacao
St. Martin
St. Thomas
Sea Days
Don't forget to check out the peek-a-boo bridge and the bow with the helipad!
We did not try Portofino, but heard it was excellent.

This was a wonderful cruise and I can't wait to return to the sea!
CMc’s Full Rating Summary