3. MSC Divina
At around 2:30 we made it to our room and relaxed as we waited for our bags to arrive. The first bag came around 4:15. The second bag around 5:00 and the third around 5:30. At around 7:00 we wondered what the hold up was for our final bag and I started the multi round calling session trying to reach reception (No answer after at least 6 calls). We decided to go to dinner expecting that it would show up while we were gone and that our cabin steward Nelson (who did an excellent job all week) would place it in our room. We returned at about 9:30 after eating and touring the ship. Upon entering the room and still not finding my last bag, I got on the phone again. 5 more calls no answer. At 10:15 I decided to go to guest relations. The line was, as expected, very long. At least 15 people in line but only 2 agents behind the desk. One of the agents was handling primarily passengers who spoke a language other than English so, it made for a very long wait before being serviced. At about 10:40 I was finally called to the agent and informed her that I was missing a bag. She asked for my name and cabin number and after entering it into the system informed me that they discovered an iron in my bag (big mistake on my part) and that they had been trying to contact me all afternoon and evening. I told her that we had been in our room most of the evening waiting for the bag and had not received a single call. She stated that she herself had called at least 3 times and I asked why she didn't leave a message on the phone, nor on the television system which had a messaging area or why she had not contacted my cabin steward to let him know that my bag was being held. She didn't answer and simply told me to go down the hall to claim my bag. At dinner on Sunday we got to the Black Crab lounge at 8:30 as soon as it opened. Found our seats, greeted our fellow dinners and after about 10 minutes our waiter took our orders. We waited about 15 minutes for our appetizers to arrive. We didn't get our entrée until 9:30. A full our after being seated. 2 of our table dinners mentioned how ridiculously slow the service was and that it was not obvious why. Other tables were already on their dessert by thn. The 2 other diners did not speak English well but you could tell of their displeasure by their looks. As we were talking the waiter came and took away one of the diners soup without asking if she was done. She looked surprised and only then did he ask if she was still eating it. Obviously upset, she stated that she was done. The conversation the rest of the evening was around the lack of professionalism from our wait staff. The wife and I decided that we would not return to the dining room during the remainder of the cruise because of what had occurred. One evening it took an hour and 15 minutes for room service to bring us ice but only after we called back. Another issue that many of the passengers experienced was that the elevators closed much too quickly, especially for the elderly on board trying to navigate between the 4 elevators. Thursday was our anniversary and the reason for the cruise. The wife asked if we should give the Black Crab a shot at redemption. I agreed but unfortunately, the service mirrored the issues that we had on Sunday night. I also found a fishbone in my potatoes which, I assume, came from the grouper than I had ordered. I wanted to request a refund for the gratuities from the dinners but, the guest services lines were always too long. I guess that I wasn’t the only one with questions or issues. During one session with a guest services agent, I informed her that I wanted to speak with someone to discuss the issues that I had encountered. She directed me to the cruise consultant (Emmanuel), who was surprised that she had done so since his job was to set up future cruises. He was gracious enough to listen and write down my concerns. He stated that he would make sure that the information was forwarded to the guest services manager. The crew for the most part were upbeat and friendly. But there were several who were rude (one pushed me aside as I was getting back onboard after a trip to one of t islands). No “excuse me” no apology. Oher crew members were not proficient enough with English to assist with questions or issues that we had. Also, the internet café’s computers were ridiculously slow. What should have taken no more than 2 to 3 minutes took almost ten. I Sat there wondering if this was intentional to generate more revenue. My wife and I cruise often and this was the first time in 20 plus years of cruising that we wanted to leave a cruise early. On the plus side, the ship itself was beautiful, the theater shows were excellent, the fitness center was nice and the price oaid fir the cruise was very reasonable. But all of the positives were offset by the overwhelming number of issues. MSC is now on our list of “never again” cruise lines.

Terrible Anniversary Cruise