My concept of a Mediterranean cruise is Barcelona to Venice. We've sailed with Celebrity, Princess and Azamara and based on everything I knew I was fully expecting Holland America to meet or exceed our past experiences. It was not to be. The ports of call and HAL's shore excursions we all wonderful. But the ship design (pools and atrium), and more importantly the food and service fell very short of our expectations. The embarkation process was chaotic. After check-in, everyone was given a boarding number. Unfortunately, the announcement system was almost impossible to hear/understand. We felt like cattle in a holding pen. Our cabin was fine for the most part, and we very much appreciated the extra large balcony. But there could have been a magazine rack mounted on the wall to hold all the ship provided magazines and our various file folders and information. Precious surface space was wasted. The bed was too hard for our taste, but I understand it's impossible to please everyone. The water and AC temperatures were excellent, although a bit more water pressure would have been appreciated. Overall we were quite comfortable in our cabin, # 4042. We also weren't impressed with the muster drill. Is it really necessary to make everyone stand on deck, cheek by jowl for over 30 minutes? Other cruises we are mustered in public spaces like the casino or specialty restaurants, where we can sit comfortably. Real problems began to surface our first night in the main dining room. Our expectation is that we order drinks/wine first, and then our meal. After not receiving my wine until my dinner was almost finished, I made a point of refusing to order my food until my wine order had been taken. And then I learned that if I wanted a second glass before dessert, I must order two glasses at a time. With the exception of two nights when we ate elsewhere, this was the drill. They always wanted me order my food first. One night we elected to order room service for dinner. We liked that it was included int the price. Our food was delivered cold. There was a card asking us to call to have the tray picked up when we were finished. I called at 8 pm and spoke with a friendly lady who said it would be collected immediately. By 10 pm, we put the DND notice on the door and went to sleep. We were also disappointed in the variety and quality of the food. I had cruised with Norwegian in May and was totally wowed by the food. Not with HAL. While totally edible, in general we found the meat and fish over cooked and dry. And no flavour. Breakfasts were the best, and we enjoyed the Dive In for hot dogs and hamburgers, and there were a few excellent desserts. Otherwise, our food experience was mediocre at best. Mediocre is also a good word to describe the nightly entertainment. Some nights were good, most were either too loud, or simply boring. We have sailed on ships this size and smaller - there really is no excuse. Until about day 9 we were happy with our cabin stewards and their service. Then I noticed that there was mold on the shower curtain. I left a note, assuming they would simply replace the curtain. We returned after a day of sightseeing to a cabin reeking of bleach. The shower curtain sparkled. Later my husband noticed that the royal blue top I had been wearing had bleached out marks on the back. They had used bleach to get rid of the mold, but then didn't rinse it off. I inadvertently bumped into it, and my top was ruined. The hotel manager arrived promptly and explained that beach is never allowed in cabins, period, and that I was entitled to a claim. He would arrange to have the shower curtain replace immediately. Our cabin steward arrived and said he didn't understand the problem, why didn't I just send my top to the laundry? I did get $40 US for my top, which since I bought it in France a couple of years ago, and was my favourite, is irreplaceable. I could likely ramble on longer, but I think you get my point. Overall we had a great time, but we will never sail with Holland America again.

Very Disappointed