3. Enchantment of the Seas
This review is for the 4 Night Bahamas Cruise for the Enchantment of the Seas sailing out May 23, 2016. My husband and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and we picked this sailing because of our schedule. Our 2 ½ year old daughter was with us as well. This was our 8th cruise and my toddler’s third (so spoiled). Before I list all the things that went wrong let me start by saying that, believe or not, I really enjoyed my trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just wish that it wasn’t so many little things… I never had a problem with embarkation. Maybe because I show up early. Not criticizing, just stating a fact. Recently I started to fly in the day before, as opposed to flying in the day of the cruise and stay fairly close to the sailing port so that I get to the ship around 11:00am -11:30am. Besides, my family likes having lunch at the Windjammer and my husband always looks forward to the paella that they serve for lunch the first day only. Yes people, the Windjammer is going to be crowded because that is the only place that is open to eat for the first few hours of the day. There was an announcement around 1:20pm letting us know that our bags were ready and off to our junior suite we went. I had cabin #8616 and when I went in, it was beautifully decorated for our anniversary. (I will try to upload pictures later). It was relatively clean. I don’t remember our attendant’s name but he was very professional and polite. I find that the stateroom attendants are not quite as chatty as they used to be before the automatic gratuities were introduced. After the anniversary surprise wore off, I started to notice some things. The major thing that irritated me was that the toilet reeked of urine before anyone got to use it. Nothing could be done about the smell-trust me, because I could smell the bleach in the air when my attendant tried to sanitize the toilet for me to get rid of the horrid smell but nothing could be done. My daughter would try to use the potty and would say “It stinks!” We had to deal with the horrible urine smell for the whole entire cruise. Then later that night while I was giving my daughter her bath, filthy water started to come up through a floor drain in the bathroom. So I had to call maintenance (who came quickly) to rectify the situation and then they had to call housekeeping to sanitize the bathroom floor. Even housekeeping tried to clean the toilet for me and it still reeked of urine. In addition to the smell, the toilet would not flush properly. I never had this problem on a cruise before! The paper was just sitting there waiting to greet the next person to wanted to use the stinky thing. To add insult to injury, our sink looked cute but it was pain using it because the faucet was located so close to the back of the sink so that if you tried to wash your hands, your knuckles kept knocking into the back of the sink. I ended up brushing my teeth using the bathtub hoping the floor drain doesn’t flood again. I feel that I did not get my money’s worth with our junior suite cabin because of all the plumbing issues. As for dining, we kept to the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch and the My Time Dining for dinner. I have a serious gripe about “My Time” Dining. I tried to push our reservations back an hour to 7:30pm because we just came back from the Nassau day trip and my daughter was taking a late nap. The hostess told me that the only next available time was 8:45pm. So I was forced to wake my daughter up because we could not modify our time and she had her first temper tantrum for the ages. I had to keep taking her out of the restaurant because she would not stop crying because she needed more sleep. Now I just show up whenever but the drawback is that you probably won’t get the same server. Speaking of server, I just loved my server Joseph and head waiter Petar at table 79. We had exceptional service with them and they treated my daughter like a princess. I was accommodated when I asked for a shrimp cocktail appetizer that I did not see on the menu that first night and Petar took the time to cut my daughter steak into toddler-sized pieces. The steak was good because my girl almost ate the whole thing. My eating experience was much better than the one I had on Adventure of the Seas. I noticed that there was no lobster tail on formal night with this cruise. I don’t know if its because it was a short cruise or it is another thing they are cutting corners with but we generally enjoyed the food in the main dining room. I didn’t get to do much entertainment in part because this ship had limited Royal Babies and Tots hours. This specific program is like a drop off day care service for roughly $8 an hour but it was only available for a few hours at night. This means you couldn’t really go off on own during the day and leave the little ones behind. The next cruise my daughter will be eligible for the free day cruise camp but they have to be toilet trained FYI. I did attend the Love and Marriage show, late night pool party, the 70’s Disco Inferno Party in the Centrum and the Parade of Flags on the last day so that was different and entertaining. I also shared first place in the Michael Jackson trivia and won first place for Finish that Lyric game show. I kinda saw the comedy show when they played a preview on TV. He was pretty funny. I couldn’t bring myself to do bingo at the cost of $46 for a large card that you used for 3 games. I felt that it was too much of a rip off. I found the cruise director (Elvis) and the entertainment crew underwhelming. The morning show is still just a reading of the cruise compass in which I can do myself as oppose to the director doing the show from an office or his cabin and interacting with the audience via notes and jokes. But they did good during the 70’s Disco Inferno Party. I have to give them credit for that. Miscellaneous: I did not partake in any shore excursions because either my daughter was too young to participate or it ran against our scheduled “My Time” Dining experience. I never met a drink I didn’t like on Royal Caribbean and for the price I am paying, I better like it. Chances are if the foreigners didn’t speak English, they were rude as hell. Bumping without saying excuse me, spitting into the ocean water, invading personal space to look at something. Ugh. TV programming sucks. I understand that RC wants people to get out and vacation but their tv programming royally sucks. I am not normally in my cabin during the day but it is nice to have something more while I am brushing my hair at night or getting dressed in the morning. They have the spa channel, shore excursion channel, port shopping channel, cruise compass channel. I couldn’t even order a movie if I wanted. Also, the Enchantment had such dry passenger personalities on this ship. There were barely any participants during trivia or any one dancing during the live music performances and speaking of which, the Boleros band sounded GREAT but their faces looked like they were phoning it in. Lastly, there was no way in hell I was going into a pool the size of a New York apartment with 30 people already in it. They need to make the pool bigger. I had no trouble with disembarkment. I never did. I guess I am lucky or maybe cause I am Crown & Anchor. So despite all the complaints, vacations are what you make of it. I like the food, snacks (especially the ice cream machine), drinks and the entertainment was good too. My daughter could not stop dancing (and eating). She was a happy bunny and that’s all that matters right? I would go Enchantment again but I would not splurge on the junior suite.

Very Good Cruise Despite Various Minor Issues; Cruising with a 2 Year Old

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by BronxBarbie

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Bahamas

BronxBarbie’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Get Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas price drops

I was in cabin #8616. I read in a previous review about noise above them. I would have to say the same. I think I was located underneath the pool deck towel area so it seems that we were always hearing the rolling of the towel carts that was quite loud.
  Enchantment of the Seas Deck Plans

• Miami
    I did not do much in Miami. We flew in the day before and stood at the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Miami Brickell Downtown. It was a good hotel but I was not wild about the neighborhood because it has too much construction going on.
    View All 2,379 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review
  • Nassau
    Vendors are too aggressive. Doesn’t matter if you said no to the first five people, the sixth person will still hound you to braid your hair, taxi ride, etc.

Didn’t want to go to gargantuan Atlantis so we walked over (about a 10 minute walk) to British Colonial Hilton and bought day passes that came with food vouchers ($130 total-my toddler was free). Could not recommend highly enough. Clean facilities and friendly staff that take care of you well.
    View All 5,848 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews