Noordam Cruise Review

Noordam Cruise Review by Mojolingum

• Sail Date: Mar 2016
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

I've been on 5 cruises, 4 of them 13 nights or longer and Noordam has the best cruise director, Kieron Humphrey. Kieron could double up as on-board entertainer anytime. I dare say he was a better comedian than some of the featured comedians. He dressed well and sang wonderfully. Made a great trivia/game host too.

Christina, the culinary host was fantastic too. She was enthusiastic, organised and kept me engrossed and entertained throughout each cooking activity (I attended all of them). The recipes were well chosen (simple and tasty) and her choice of demonstrating chef/crew were excellent. If they could not express themselves effectively, she was fast and clear in interpreting their thoughts.

The onboard entertainment cast was very average. lets say I would prefer the singers to sing and the dancers to dance and not do both.

Crew was excellent!

Toiletries in the cabin toilet is not too bad but the soap can be done away. It took a long time to wash off so should be replaced with liquid hand soap.

Smoking is allowed on the verandah but a no no to me. It's not pleasant to open the balcony door and smell smoke instead of fresh sea air.

Mojolingum's Full Rating Summary

Big super king size bed

Not too bad toiletries

Negatives:

Limp pillows

Smoking balconies (you can smell the smoke from smokers)

Soap is hard to wash off (should be replaced with liquid hand soap)

Squeaky cabinet doors (especially during rough sea days)

Auckland

Right in the city with easily accessible public transport. There is a nearby supermarket too.

Tauranga

I went on a climb up Mount Maunganui (20 minute walk from where the ship is docked). I picked the moderate climb and it took me an hour with regular stops to catch my breath. The view was great at the summit. In the afternoon, I went fro a walk along Maunganui Road (5 minutes from the cruise terminal). It was a pleasant street with local souvenirs, some made overseas and lots of pubs and cafes.

Napier

A free shuttle took me from the cruise terminal to i-Site centre in the city. The city was small and I covered it all within an hour. Had a $1.50 sausage roll and flat white at the Ankorwat Cafe (Cnr of Dickens and Dalton). Great supermarket at the circle on Station Street.

Wellington

I did not take the cruise excursion but booked Walk Wellington at $20 (www.walkwellington.org.nz) and had Keith as my guide. He spent 3 hours carefully meandering through the roads and sites stopping to tell stories and history. The walk ended in Civic Square where i-Site is. I chose to spend the afternoon at Te Papa Museum of New Zealand. Entrance and wifi are free. Try the Gallipoli exhibit. It was powerful and engaging.

Christchurch

Tender port at Akaroa. There is nothing at Akaroa. But I met the lady boss of "BookaTour Dunedin". Dunedin is the next port of call. I suggest you put your name (free) on the list for a half/full day tour in Dunedin.

Trev, the guide was excellent. I highly recommend the half day tour. When the bus stops at the Dunedin Train Station, get off and book a train ride (the Seasider) for a 1.5hr ride on the train ($50). The train, on its return journey will stop you at the Cruise Terminal. Just before the train ride at 2pm, visit the Dunedin Octagon and have a quick lunch. I visited the Cadbury factory near the train station but did not have time to take the tour. The price of Cadbury chocolates at the factory is cheaper than at the supermarkets.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Hobart

Hobart is an average city. If you havent' seen a kangaroo or koala up close, I suggest you take an excursion out to the country to meet them.

The Visitor Shuttle operates like the hop-on hop-off bus. At $10 for a 2 day pass, they cover 13 stops and the whole ride takes 50 minutes if you do not get off the bus. Tickets are available at i-Site and at the Visitor Shuttle bus stops (machine).

You can take the tram or the public bus from the cruise terminal to the city ($14). Once in the city, all public transport is free. I recommend the Visitor Shuttle because there is commentaries and the stops are a little further away from the city so you get a feel of the city fringe area too. The bus drivers were great. They provided additional commentaries and were super friendly.

View All undefined undefined Reviews