3. Westerdam
I have to say it was my first cruise and the ship was beautiful and clean. The room was supposed to be partially obstructed, however it was fully obstructed, unless they count the sky as partially obstructed. The staff was awesome! Our room stayed cleaned the entire trip, as I said, it was an awesome staff. Now, the food was okay, more bland than I would like. The portions for scallop appetizer were shamefully small. The food portions were also small, but it also depended on what you ordered. The desserts were okay, but not something you want to have more of, or want in the middle of the night, just because you were thinking about it. They did have a Windows 10 person on board to provide training for windows 10, which was excellent! (I know why? I used my days at sea to learn about my new computer, and I sunburn easily, so I found things to do inside.) The instructor was awesome! Bring a flash drive, so you can have a copy of his training. The entertainment was good, but our trip was charted so we used different entertainment in various areas. (our own DJ, Comedians, and Singer (Patti Labelle, and Ruthie Foster) Now what I didn't like: The staff seemed to only want to use the room key card. I purchased a soda gift card and another for other beverages, I had the room key card and beverage card on a lanyard, and when I wanted a drink I always stated I want to put on gift cards, however they always reflexively used the was room key card. It was annoying to have to go to the front desk and have them remove the charge from room to the gift card. I also felt the massage was entirely to expensive! It was okay, but not worth the cost per person. I also attended the food and wine demonstration located in their Culinary Arts Center, where they prepared Shrimp Scampi with a Curry Mango Butter and Chilled Avocado Soup with fresh Ginger and Lime Cream. I know sounds delicious right? All that attended thought so, however we were not able to taste either dish. They gave each us the recipe for both dishes, but we couldn't taste it. Smelled good too. They did allow us to come up and get a closer look at both dishes. We purchased the pictures they took of us at different events. ($19.95 each pic, 5x7) Nicely done. They did have packages of pictures that started at $3000.00, and of course they try and talk you down to $600 for three Black and White pictures. Disembarkation was very organized and it took only 15 minutes to leave the ship. Smooth exit for so many people.

Nickel and Dime

Westerdam Cruise Review by BrownEyez66

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

BrownEyez66’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

• Grand Turk
    This was a nice port, however, the water at the beach as soon as you leave the ship was very rocky. It also had many drops within the rocks where you could mess up your ankle. Margaretville was the only restaurant at the entrance and it remained crowded. It is on a beach and has lounge chairs. There is wait service on the beach, however expect a long wait. You will do better going to restaurant and getting it your self. They had a wide range of alcohol and beer to include Guinness Stout. They had pool games, but they were targeted to young adults. The store which you enter and leave through had great prices on alcohol (half price compared to the US) Ship was close enough, so I was able to go have lunch on ship and return to the beach without having to spend any money.
    View All 2,137 Grand Turk Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Turk Cruise Port Review
  • Half Moon Cay
    The beach is private to Carnival and Holland America cruise lines. The water was calm and the water had minimal rocks. The beach was clean and the food provided by the cruise ship was delicious. Loved that we were the only ones on the beach. The shops and the bars did not take any money, only your room key for purchases. There were about 3 bars and 7 stores. There were many activities to do on the beach. The activities were roped off so the waves were very calm in the swimming area.
    View All 1,211 Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Review
  • San Juan
    We had time to enjoy the video that was very informative and had time to take pictures of the waterfalls and castle. About 90 steps up to the top of castle. There was no rain or mist in the rainforest (go figure?) Great trip. Didn't get a chance to eat the great food during this trip, but next time I hope. Lots of people returned with great food stories.
    View All 3,854 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    We purchased a drive tour with a guide who showed us the ship ports, beach views, and some of the local places where islanders live. He then took us to Secret Harbor, a private beach. There was a bar/grille on the beach and a store that rented lounge chairs $5 and umbrellas. The food at the bar/grille was inexpensive and delicious. They had a hot sweet mango sauce if you are into hot sauces that was extremely hot and apparently delicious for $20 that we purchased. Also, at Secret Harbor is a Hotel that have lounge chairs for their hotel guests for free. I say this, because the chairs are monitored by the hotel staff. The beach is very clean, the waters barely have any rocks and you will see many school of fish swimming next to you. The water is very, very calm. The beach was quiet. You could sleep on the beach with no interruptions.
    View All 4,729 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews