3. Britannia
Having tracked reviews for months we were on the verge of cancelling this cruise but the experience was not quite as bad as we had been bracing ourselves for. First the positives: Choice of drinks and bar prices on P&O are refreshingly reasonable although it is quite irritating to regularly chose craft beers from the extensive menu in Brodie's to be advised, almost inevitably, that my choices are unavailable. Restaurant wines are both high quality and good value. The resident entertainers are excellent. Pulse, the High energy dance band are utterly brilliant and I am amazed by their work rate. the Headliners Theatre group presented three brilliant productions but I was less than impressed with the spectacular Once Upon A Time, which was, in effect, a pantomime. Visiting guest entertained were less impressive ranging from the truly dreadful Rats In The Kitchen UB 40 tribute band to the popular but predictable Mark Walker delivering the same material that he has used for the past fifteen years on just about every cruise ship on the seven seas. The ship decor is modern, light and bright. The layout is nowhere near as confusing or complicating as some would have you believe though modern cruising does now seem to attract clientele that would have difficulty finding their way around a bus stop. In cabin entertainment was exceptional. An array of news channels, movies and TV shows will no doubt keep those less inclined to enjoy the bars and shows we'll end truly entertained. But the the less pleasing.... Choice and standard of food was adequate but little more. The Horizon Buffet was especially disappointing in its limited and repetitive range. This, coupled with the regular parade of the zombies randomly stopping or changing direction, render this a restaurant to be a venue of last resort. Meridian Restaurant was better. Well laid out, light and comfortable and when P&O have finally finished training their staff, the service levels might rise to satisfactory. They seem to struggle with the concept that wine is an accompaniment to food rather than being served as the plates are being removed. Speciality restaurants were fine but overhyped and overpriced. Cabins are the smallest we have encountered on any of our eighteen cruises and the balconies are little more than window boxes. Day time activities are badly organised with entertainment hosts struggling to martial the quoits, shuffleboard and ping pong contests. Teaching them the rules might help, as would lessons in customer care. The attitude of one host in particular, Millie, would be better suited to a prism wing than a cruise ship. She should be removed forthwith to prevent her terrorising any further guests. The entertainment Venues are too small, badly laid out and inadequately supervised. I was almost engaged in a physical confrontation in the Live Lounge as I needed to remove a number of inconsiderate guests standing directly in front of seated areas. Overall service levels were generally amateurish and I was surprised and disappointed by the lack of officers in evidence. My final gripe is with the P&O pricing policy. I understand that they need to sail with full occupancy but the practice of selling cabins at half price, does tend to attract clientele who do not enhance the reputation of the ship or the enjoyment other guests. Given P&O obsession with selling Spa experiences etc. I am quite surprised that Britannia has not broken new ground in opening the first onboard Tattoo and Piercing parlour. I am sure it would do a roaring trade on sea days. Value, regrettably, has its drawbacks and it is interesting that most of the more positive reviews tend to come from first time cruisers. Would I sail on Britannia again? Possibly but only one a late, half price deal and take my chances with the other bargain hunters.

Not as bad as feared, nor as good as we hoped.

Britannia Cruise Review by Angryfr

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Caribbean

First the positives:

But the the less pleasing....

Speciality restaurants were fine but overhyped and overpriced.

Angryfr’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Britannia price drops

Cabin C116
Small but comfortable and well equipped.