3. Explorer of the Seas
11 night cruise Dubai to Singapore. Stayed 3 nights in Dubai at the Intercontinental Festival city pre cruise which I would highly recommend. Embarkation at the Dubai terminal seemed a crazy mixup of disorganised chaos, however I can honestly say that it all worked fine for us. I have a mobility issue & the staff checked me in quickly & I was on board the ship within about a half hour. I did hear later than some people waited for hours to check-in. The Explorer is a very nice ship & looks great thanks to a recent makeover. It is very easy to get around, plenty of sun beds (even though there were plenty of chair hogs) & great amenities. I love the big ships for all the little extras. We had one of the brand new Balcony cabins up on Deck 12 that were added earlier this year. It had a very similar look & feel of the new quantum class cabins. It was a great location just round the corner from the lifts/stairs & near the spa entrance. It was a very quiet location & the room steward did a great job. These new rooms are about a couple of feet longer than the older cabins, have a large flat screen Tv opposite the bed, heaps of wardrobe space, a nice sized balcony ( 2chairs + table) & it overhangs the sides more than the older ones & being up high has fabulous views. In the past I have not cruised Royal for it’s food, in fact I have been a little disappointed. However this cruise was the opposite. The food overall was great & the best I have come across on Royal. We had anytime dining & the Dining room food & service was great most of the time. The windjammer also had great offerings but it was chaotic at peak times. The food & service of Chops, Johnny Rockets & Giovanni’s was excellent! The cafe was ok but I think a ship of this size could do with another cafe elsewhere or at least a separate pizza station. The pizzas were pretty average. I can’t drink much alcohol so I can’t really comment too much on the bar service but it seemed ok overall, although I did notice a lack of drink waiters on the open decks. Entertainment I thought was average. I have been spoiled by the Oasis & Quantum class. If you are a fairly new cruiser you would love what was on offer. For me I wasn’t wowed other than the Ice shows which I love every time. The main production shows I found a bit boring & I didn’t catch all the Headliner shows but the ones I did see were just ok. Other entertainment around the ship was ok at best. Other than the staff at the entrance to the Dining room on deck 5, the service I personally encountered throughout the ship was great & I couldn’t have asked for anything more. For some reason there seemed to be a lot of whingy, angry, arrogant people on board this cruise (more than usual) who seemed to complain at the tiniest of things & even argue with other passengers in the process. There was a constant line at guest services as a result. I ignored the majority of it, & I’m glad I didn’t have to line up there at all. Ports of call included Goa & Cochin In India, Penang & K.L in Malaysia. For Goa we just jumped in a taxi which gave us a quick drive by the old town & dropped us off at Bogmalo beach for a while. In Cochin we hired a Tuktuk for a about a 3 hour tour & this was a great authentic experience & a quick way to see the main sights. In Penang we hired a taxi again & did a quick tour up the Peak & to some great Temples. For K.L. we did a ships shore excursion which was really just a transfer to/from the Sunway shopping centre. The organisation for the excursions that day was terrible as all groups had to meet in the Theatre at about the same time which meant there were a lot of angry passengers in long queues. We just avoided these & entered once most of the confusion died off. This whole process could have been handled better by the shore exc staff. Once we disembarked in Singapore, we stayed for 2 nights at the fabulous Hotel Fort Canning, right in the middle of a nice park in the middle of the city. All in all, we had a great time, & would not hesitate to do a similar sailing again.

Good Cruise

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by jspqld

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Asia
11 night cruise Dubai to Singapore.

jspqld’s Full Rating Summary