3. Emerald Princess
My wife and I just came back yesterday from our cruise to Grand Turk on-board the Emerald Princess. We had a wonderful experience- easily one of the best vacations we've had. Before we left, we both had gotten somewhat paranoid because we had read some of these really horrible reviews on cruise critic. Honestly, we have no idea what these people are talking about. Some folks I guess just want to be angry about something, and think complaining all the time makes them important. We ran into a couple of folks like that on the ship- the kind of people who just complain about everything. All I can say is that the crew bent over backwards to try to make sure everyone was happy, including folks like that. The reality is that folks are at least 2 times more likely to leave a negative review than a positive one, so take that into account when reading any of this kind of stuff. Anyhow- we had a wonderful time- and so did 99% of people on board. The service was great, the food was very good, and the destination [Grand Turk] was absolutely one of the prettiest places I've ever seen! So- to hit a couple of topics that folks seem to constantly complain about and set the record straight from our perspective: "Princess only caters to old people" - I was a bit worried about this one, because we saw it in a lot of reviews. I'm 34, my wife's 28- and we had a blast. There was a wide range of ages on board, but I would guess just a rough estimate that about 60% of the folks on board were between 35-50. Sure, there were a fair number of older folks too- probably 35%. Very few kids, which was a big plus for my wife and I. "The food is terrible/gross/awful/etc." - I have no idea what boat these people are talking about. Unless Princess miraculously just changed up their game for our cruise, I think these folks that complain about the food are a bit nuts. We had a couple that said something to that effect on board, and we asked them where they had been eating- and it turned out they ate every meal in the buffet. OK, seriously? There's only so much quality you can expect from a buffet. Even at the Horizon's Court, we found tons of great stuff- but I think probably this is where a lot of the negative reviews come from. If we had any complaints at all, it would be that sometimes it is VERY hard to get a table or drink service at the buffet when they are slammed [like on embarkation day!]. It is what is folk- there's 3000 people on board! We had great experiences in the restaurant [Botticelli] and at the Crown Grill. My wife and I had exactly one meal that we thought was so-so. I absolutely recommend that you take advantage of the Crown Grill! Amazing food, great quality, and great service. Wine prices also very reasonable. "There's nothing to do!" - What?! Anyone saying that is a lunatic, or seriously just can't be pleased. We were on a 4 night/5 day cruise- and we didn't even actually get a chance to get to all of the different places on the ship. We didn't even go to 2 of the clubs, and never even got a chance to get to see one of the 4 pools. We were plenty occupied. Parties organized by the crew were really fun, and the ship's entertainment bands were phenomenal! [If anyone from Princess is reading this, Wavelength ROCKED. That lead guitarist is amazing.] I can't even begin to understand folks who say there's nothing to do, they're full of it. Our cruise occurred over the Halloween holiday, and the party was crazy fun! "The service is horrible/ Nobody Smiles!" - This again is totally nuts. It really worried us honestly seeing that comment from a handful of reviewers. Everyone was super helpful and pleasant to us. There was one gentleman from Namibia who helped us tremendously working at the Guest Services desk- unfortunately we can't remember his name, but Princess- give that guy a raise! "The ship is old!" - Huh!? It was launched in 2007, and refitted in 2012 I believe. It's a beautiful boat, and we loved all the beautiful details of the classic ships that were incorporated into the design. Emerald is going into drydock at the end of the year for another refit, but she was in beautiful condition when we were on-board. So, I hope that's helpful. As far as we were concerned, those negative comments are just totally nuts. Sure, maybe it was a fluke and we just 'lucked out." I think it's more likely that the other folks just like complaining.

Wonderful Escape

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by iltrombettista

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

iltrombettista’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OW E326
Cabin was great. The booking said we had an obstructed view, but we had a nice clear view outside our window as it was just between two lifeboats. Nice size room, nice comfy bed and pillows!
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins