3. Norwegian Jewel
We sailed on the Jewel on 9/5/15 from Seattle to Alaska & back. We had one of the Haven suites (14014) and really loved the suite and all the perks that come with staying in the Haven. The suite was large (2 big rooms), comfortable, quiet, and our room steward kept it in immaculate condition. The ship was larger than our previous cruises on Norwegian, but the layout was very similar, so we didn't get lost. The ship seemed to be kept in nice condition, and I didn't see any noticeable signs of wear. Even though we avoided the buffet, I still caught a flu/respiratory bug that got worse on the last day. There seemed to be lots of passengers coughing & sneezing, so I could have caught it anywhere. However, since this is the second time I've gotten sick on a Norwegian cruise, I seriously doubt we will ever sail on Norwegian again--or ANY large cruise ship for that matter. It just seems that cruise ships are giant germ buckets, just like airplanes. So no more. I will NOT recommend the Marriott Waterfront Hotel to stay pre-cruise, even though it's right across the street from the port. The 2 nights prior to the cruise were $400/night, and we did NOT get the water view we paid for. then we were told that the same room would cost $140 for Saturday night--after we embarked. That's just plain robbery. Shame on Marriott. We liked all the ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Victoria, BC). However, there are dozens if not hundreds of shops adjacent to the ports selling all kinds of junk, most of it made in China. My wife found a beautiful pair of earrings made by a local artist in Ketchikan, so if you look hard enough, you can find some local stuff. The only excursion we took was the bus ride from Skagway up into the Yukon--parallels the train ride, but goes about 30 miles further to Carcross, where a good lunch was included. The guide was a year-round Skagway resident, and it was fun to hear what life in Skagway was like. Hint: if it wasn't for the cruise ships, Skagway would likely be a ghost town, as it has no fishing industry. Food on board was great. Breakfast & lunch were offered to Haven passengers in a private restaurant rather than fight the buffet crowds. We took advantage of that and enjoyed most of the meals. On the last afternoon at sea (Friday), the Head Chef (from Bavaria) sponsored a German Beerfest on the pool deck--with OUTSTANDING German food--and even German beers were available. We also had dinner at 3 of the specialty restaurants and enjoyed those meals too. All-in-all, a great cruise, except for me getting sick.

Great cruise, but got sick--again! Not good.

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by rickc5

• Sail Date: September 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony

All-in-all, a great cruise, except for me getting sick.
rickc5’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony
Cabin H5 14014
We had one of the Haven suites (14014) and really loved the suite and all the perks that come with staying in the Haven. The suite was large (2 big rooms), comfortable, quiet, and our room steward kept it in immaculate condition. A king bed, three TVs, a great coffee maker and a refrigerator. Ours was the last room on the hall, so we never saw any of the other Haven passengers unless we were heading downstairs.

The Haven offers a pool, steam rooms, hot tub, exercise machines & showers, as well as many lounge chairs around the pool. There was a small eating area at one end where Haven passengers could have breakfast in their PJs or robes--great! In the afternoon there were snacks.

If we ever cruise again, we will stay in The Haven, or whatever is it's equal on other cruise lines.
Deck 14 Suite Cabins