Queen Victoria Cruise Review

Queen Victoria; Not For Me!

Queen Victoria Cruise Review by colfred

• Sail Date: Aug 2015
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I have cruised with lots of cruise lines and wanted to sail with Cunard. As I choose the itinerary before the ship the choice has never included Cunard as it was always so much more expensive. I know some of you may say you get what you pay for but it may not always be the case. So we saw a great deal, to places we wanted to go to and booked. The itinerary was fantastic. Starting in Venice, going to Croatia, Greece and Turkey, a few of the places we hadn't been before which we looked forward to.

To Cunards credit the ship was fabulous, lots of art deco touches and the art work is outstanding. Also outstanding is the cleanliness of the ship, one of the cleanest ships I have ever been on, except for the windows and balcony glass that is! Likewise the food is excellent but I would say no better than other cruise lines we have been with.

The downside, for us was the entertainment. This ship is great if you like ballroom dancing and classical music. It had, in the two weeks 2 shows with singers and dancers combined. Other shows included singers and a comedian. Also a flautist who was on 2 nights and a violinist who was on 2 nights. They both were excellent but around the ship there were other classical music groups e.g a string quartet and a harpist. Whilst I enjoy classical music I found it too much for my taste. There was a group called synergy which played in hemispheres and out on deck. They had the chance to play in the queens room once and it was packed.

Also around the ship it was noticeable how empty all the bars were. At times it was like being on the Marie Celeste. I noticed people bringing their own drink onto the ship, something other cruise liners don't allow. So I can only summise that the bars were empty as everyone was drinking in their rooms. However it was not tea or coffee, as there are no tea or coffee facilities in the rooms, something we have got used to on other ships. However they do have 24 hour room service.

So to sum up we had a great holiday with the ports of call, the lovely room, the beautiful food and the clean ship. However this ship lacked life! Even the sail aways were non existent. Nobody got up to dance which I have never seen before on a sail away. Cunard you need to address this!

I talked to many people over the two weeks from all over the world and they asked me is this the best of British? Which is what they see as Cunard's saying. Many moaned about the entertainment being stuffy! I would tend to agree. Needless to say I will continue to sail with other cruise lines but Cunard, sorry, your entertainment is not for me!

colfred's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BF 5142

Cabin was excellent, fridge, hairdryer, couch, TV and coffee table. Bed was really comfortable. However door to balcony and balcony glass was filthy and was not cleaned in the whole two weeks we were there. Likewise other windows on the ship were also dirty.

Rhodes

Fabulous place the UNESCO world heritage site was excellent.

Kusadasi

Been here before but seemed to be a lot busier and of course very hot.

Volos

Never bothered to get off the ship this was little more than a concrete town. Couldn't understand why they chose to stop at this port when there are so many beautiful stops to take advantage of.

colfred