3. Paul Gauguin
Everything about the cruise itself was pretty much wonderful, but since I had included airfare and a procures package plus a post cruise dayroom we will cover it all in the review. Air Tahiti Nuis counter does not open until 8pm so don't bother getting there early in LAX. We flew out on a Wednesday so the flight was not full. The boarding process is to fill the plane from the back to the front. The boarding was orderly and we were greeted nicely. The seats on this plane in economy class have less space than the Southwest plane I flew on to get to LAX plus they have this very uncomfortable head rests thing on the back which protrudes. If the person in front of you reclines, and they will, you cannot move or retrieve your purse. I was literally pinned in my seat and could not get in or out easily. The food was fair at best, I had read the reviews and bought something to take on the plane. We were served a cold pasta salad with a roll and dessert. You do get wine which was nice. Since the plane was not full a few people shifted round, mu husband and I were able to each have an extra seat. I will say i thought it selfish of those that took up four seats to lay down when others would have like a second seat. Keep in mind this was the weeknight flight, the weekend flight was full! I can tell you I would never fly this airline again due to the small amount of room, it was the most miserable flight I have ever been on and I have flown to Europe many time, but never like this! I was placed post cruise at the intercontinental Tahiti, I had an overwater bungalow and loved the property. The service was very good and I enjoyed my stay with the exception of the food, other than breakfast the food was fair to poor, even in the over water restaurant. The cruise ship takes you to the ship on a nice bus, embarkation was effortless with no line. We were greeted and walked through to get our cards, then escorted to our room. I have sailed on Seabourn and this is very much like their process, we were greeted with Champagne, however, you will not have a cold bottle waiting for you in your room. The room was nice however not as large as Seabourn. No walk in closet, no large couch, the couch looks like something a child would sit on! The bathtub was larger than Seabourn. The bed was comfortable, the balcony was nice except the metal partition separating it from the other cabin made a lot of noise. Our cabin was 615 and over the grand salon, we had a bose sound dock and played white noise at night so we did nether a thing but when not running you could hear a bit of the show below. You are not given any liquor in your room to make drinks other than beer in the fridge, you must go to a bar or call room service. The rooms showing some age, a few spots on the carpet and upholstery . Our room was kept clean and we had turn down overnight . The service everywhere you went was over the top, I can't speak highly enough of the waitstaff. The food was always excellent as were the drinks, we ate in all three restaurants , each at least twice, and loved them all. We did have a problem on the first day with the laundry service which we purchased, however, after voicing a concern that was corrected. Excursions that you purchase can be canceled if not filled and this happened to us several time which left us disappointed. In the future I would book my excursions privately , once it was due to weather so that I understand. I suggest renting a car at least one day on Bora Bora and One on Moorea. I will say the best excursion we had was booked privately with reef discovery snorkeling, it was an amazing trip, they only take 4 couples and give you all the attention you may need. We did the Rays and shark lagoon excursion on Moorea which was nice. We didn't have children but the ones that were on board loved the naturalist program. One thing I did find strange was during the overnight in Moorea the captain took the boat our and we cruised all night, this would not have been an issue had the seas been calm, but they were not and most people lost sleep that night. We each had massages which we agreed were some of the best we had ever had. My glitch here was that they told me to come 30 minutes early to use the steam room which I did however i sat and waited 30 minutes and no one was ever at the front desk to show me the steam room, they did apologize. We met many nice people and enjoyed the intimacy of the ship. The Cruise Director was great and very entertaining. I have to say that what sets this cruise apart is the interaction with the local people and culture. I loved that they had the music, dance, flowers, flower making etc everyplace! It made it truly unique and special. Disembakation was great, we left the ship at about 12:30, went on a tour with a very entertaining lady named Helen. The downside was that they took us for a day room at the Pearl, this is not a place I would have stayed and was disappointed after all the wonderful experience that I ended with this lower level hotel. So to sum up, I would do it all again only with another airline and a different post cruise hotel!

Wonderful Cruise, Limited Glitches

Paul Gauguin Cruise Review by susan21

susan21’s Full Rating Summary
Get Paul Gauguin price drops

I liked our cabin location, I think of the seas are rough you will fell it anyplace. 615 is in the middle but you felt the rough seas. we are sailors so it didn't bother us. We did use white noise to sleep.
  Paul Gauguin Deck Plans