3. Celebrity Solstice
My husband and I are mid 30's and this is our 3rd cruise. Ironically, we were on the Solstice in 2009 for our honeymoon and decided to do Alaska and ended up on the Solstice again for this Alaska departure. Pros: Clean Ship Pretty good food Quiet atmosphere for the most part Alaska I have a gluten allergy and liked that there was signage and gluten free bread at dinner was available if you asked. Loved the Gym, yoga and Zumba classes Tuscan Grille was delicious We had select dining and the wait times were short, if any Entertainment at nights was good with live music and the shows were pretty good, except for Broadway show which wasn't too good Cons: Buffet Food/Beverage quality: The buffet food options were a bit boring. For example although the salad bar had a mesclun mix in addition to romaine. The toppings lacked things like black olives, crumbled feta or blue cheese, avocado, etc. The dressing were all bulk quantity and boring blue cheese, french, russian. Pizza was terrible, doughy rubbery crust. The coffee was LavaZa, even when you want a premium coffee beverage like an espresso, LavaZa is served. I would have liked a true premium coffee option. Embarkation/Debarkation Upon arriving in Seattle, we were debating whether to take a cab or buy a ticket for the transfer that Celebrity was offering. It was a little bit cheaper so we decided to go for the latter. What a mistake. We waited in a long snaking line for almost an hour and when we got to the clerk, she was writing everything down via paper? There was no apology for the long wait. Upon buying a ticket and going outside we had to wait again for the bus to fill and then we sat there for around 20 min before departing. The driver finally leaves, and was driving extremely slow. I understand safety, but we were just excited to get there. We got to the pier and once again waited in line about 10-15 min to check-in and get on the ship. From overhearing other people, apparently this was out of the ordinary and the line isn't usually this bad? Still, even so, they were not efficient and this happened again on the way home. I was trying to rationalize why it took so long? Maybe because a Royal Caribbean line was departing as well? Upon debarkation, we had a high number, which meant we were in the last group to leave the ship. We had already paid for the return bus to the airport via Celebrity's bus transfer. Waiting in the bus area stunk, as we waited 40 minutes (standing) to get on a bus to the airport. The people running the transfers, Intercruises I think they are called, looked disorganized. Another minor complaint was that kids were allowed in the hot tubs during the "family hours" in the covered pool area, however the signs on the hot tub said Adults only. Some of the kids were playing in the hot tub and there were no parents around, so my husband and I felt bad but we had to gently remind them to not do flips in the hot tub or splash water at each other. Another minor complaint was that this cruise had a large group of people who were on a conference for a multi-level marketing company. While they easy to avoid, sometimes the larger groups monopolized hot tubs or public areas on the ship for hours. I think the staff should have asked them to move elsewhere after a decent time so other guests could use the hot tub. We didn't get to sail down Tracy Arm Fjord because a sick passenger was airlifted off of the ship and the ship had to change course because of this. My husband and I were bummed, but realized there was nothing we could have done. Victoria was nice to see, but it didn't really add anything to the itinerary for me. Overall, I'm not so sure we are cruise people, but we do enjoy having a good meal and warm bed after a long day sightseeing/hiking/being active. We do want to see more of Alaska, as this just wet our appetite.

Loved the ship and Alaska; some hiccups with arrival and departure.

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by designkelly

• Sail Date: August 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

Pros:

Clean Ship

Pretty good food

Quiet atmosphere for the most part

Alaska

Loved the Gym, yoga and Zumba classes

Tuscan Grille was delicious

We had select dining and the wait times were short, if any

Cons:

Buffet Food/Beverage quality:

Embarkation/Debarkation