3. Anthem of the Seas
No nightclub on board like older ships, which makes things feel very fractured, no constant meeting place for young people. Unlike the venues for the under 18’s which are vast and spread over several floors. Bionic bar is a nice [expensive] addition but the robots kept constantly breaking down, there were only 2 days out of 14 where I saw both robots working at the same time and I had spotted numerous repair men numerous time when the ship was in port. The tablets used to control them are rubbish, the rfid needs swiping several times before it’ll even recognize you and even then the android app it runs is incredibly buggy. The internet is ok, faster compared to other ships. However it seems that, even though they are not inject adverts into webpages, they are inspecting content and even if you don’t pay for the internet access they still allow notifications through so you know what your friends are doing but you can’t reply. One of the DJs on-board is an absolute misery guts. He refused to play anything except his extensive collection of crap from the 1980s. I say crap because it was the same ten songs over and over again that no one liked in the first place. Any kind of suggestion of other music was rudely refused and people were de-persuaded from even approaching the platform he was DJing from with passive aggressive hand gestures. After realizing he wasn’t going to change his set the venue emptied within about 45 seconds. It’s almost as if he is just playing back a set that he’d recorded from earlier in the cruise. A brief look at his deck confirmed this. However, the other DJ on-board is amazing, and I would hire him out if I had a need. On this ship the Soda packages come with a mug coaster thing with an rfid chip inside. This means that you can help yourself to as much soda as you can drink from the self-service machines, only one cup full every 15 minutes. This unfortunately let to the sense that many of the waiters seemed to be annoyed that we were asking for drinks from them, and that we should use the self-service machines. Although this is obviously a cost cutting measure, which I respect because the whole running a cruise ship is expensive affair, I couldn’t help feeling disappointed with that lack of want of service. Did I mention the $15 gratuity automatically added every day? However I should say that other waiters and bartenders were brilliant to the extent that they would get me a diet coke on sight. I will be making an effort to tip these individuals as I see fit myself. There is a chronic overuse of flat screen televisions. You cannot go one minute without seeing one mounted on a wall or something. Yes they are useful outside the lifts and as menus in restaurants, but when they are just randomly hung in the corridors showing what can loosely be called art, I call chronic overuse. No one likes those crap screensavers that everyone had in the noughties. Same goes for the displays in the bionic bar area, behind the DJ post. Pointless. Maybe have a station to select what music plays in the bionic bar? Replace that crap DJ? Curfew is never enforced. I have seen numerous times children obviously below 17 moving about freely into the early hours of the morning. So much to the disregard of this curfew I have seen teenagers openly mocking the security staff when they are in the glass lifts changing floors looking down at security on floor 5. Unfortunately this is an only a game that can be won if you are under 17 but on this ship it seems to be a real problem. I can only hope these children were removed from the ship at the earliest opportunity, during a sea day. I would consider the art displayed on the staircases and lifts to be more or less crap. This is at its worse in the lifts. I’m sure Americans may find animals with human clothes and sunglasses poorly photos hoped onto them funny, but the rest of the world does not and considers it tacky. I’d rather have a mirror or just an empty wall instead. The art in the staircases is better but still pointless. Near floor 13 there are 4 canvas paintings of the soles of trainers. Why? What’s the point, there’s not even any creativity in it, as they are almost identical to someone who could have taken photos of them. There is nowhere open 24 hours for food or drink. I’ve yet to find somewhere that stays open all night. This may be a weird request but on other cruise ships this has been the pillar of a night out with friends on-board, post clubbing, etc. Yes, you could use the soda mug to use the self-service machines but I would not be seen dead with it in the evening/early hours because of its clumsy and childish appearance. The use of the words “Club 18-21+” as a marker for any 18+ activities is not cool. This is only made worse by the fact there is no club or venue on-board. It would also act to drive away any individuals who were looking to be social but wanted to avoid whatever “Club 18-21+” meant. So all in all, a mixed bag. But, with hindsight, I’d have rather taken the £2k and stayed at home for 14 days.

Unsatisfied Youth posting.