Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by karbop1

• Sail Date: Jun 2015
  • Destination: Norwegian Fjords
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I was on the Star in 2013 for a 9 day cruise to the Baltic’s and said I would never cruise NCL again. So while I was looking for my next trip, which would be to Norway, lo and behold which cruise company and ship come up with the best itinerary going as well as a great price. NCL and the Star. I took it because, at the very least, I felt NCL did a phenomenal job of getting us on and off the boats in port and I really wanted that itinerary.

Let me tell you, my experience this time around was great. Not that the last time was horrible. The ship was disappointing from unfinished balconies and workman in the room making the balconies unusable after painting (for several days). Then again, the ship isn’t known for the quality of its food. That much hadn’t changed but since both of us in the room weren’t planning on eating binges the quality of food didn’t affect us as much.

Con: Room service now has a fee of $7.95. Apparently implemented a couple cruises before ours. That limited our use of the service. I will say when we did order, our order was huge and I used baggies I brought to save items like PB&J sandwiches and chips for the next day. It worked out pretty well.

Con: Food is still so so.

Con: The bed was really uncomfortable and lumpy. Our steward was great and brought us a couple of foam mattress pad toppers which helped a lot. We loved our steward.

Pro: This time and last. The ship’s crew are outstanding.

Pro: I ordered the room decorated and with a cake as I was taking my niece for her first trip to Europe. The room looked great and when the cake came, instead of the 10″ cake I was expecting, we got this huge, beautiful Bon Voyage cake. It was way too big but cool and we shared it with our steward.

Pro: The itinerary was great. It even hit a place on my bucket list I never really expected to get to. Reine, Norway in the Lofoton Islands. Everyone should go there.

Pro: We really loved the finale show in the theater on the last night.

Pro: It’s easy to get around the ship and not overly crowded.

Pro: Took our first shore excursions with the ship and they were each great. I was really surprised at how good they were. One was to Trollstigen and was an 8 hour bus tour. I really worried about how uncomfortable a trip that long would be as I have medical conditions that sitting for a long time can bring up. Turns out we stopped frequently at all the right locations and had a chance to walk around and take pics. Lunch was a great buffet where tables were all prepared for each bus as they came in. No trouble what so ever in getting a seat and food. Really enjoyed the excursions. I would have written reviews but by the time I got back they were no longer on the site to do so. If I remember, I will try next year when they open up on the NCL site.

We rented cars at 3 ports and in 2 the cars were delivered to the dock for us. Don’t be afraid to drive and explore. It’s a blast.

All in all this trip changed my mind about NCL and I will continue to use them although my next trip is with Royal Caribbean as they had the better itinerary for Christmas 2016. Sorry NCL. For me it’s all about the itinerary.

karbop1's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BD 8060

The Path of the Trolls

View All 27 The Path of the Trolls Reviews
Geiranger

We booked a limi tour the Geirangerfjord and it was a lot of fun. Good price and he took us where we wanted to go and for as long as we wanted. We also enjoyed shopping in town.

Trondheim

Took a taxi to the cathedral as it was raining when we arrived. it cleared up and we strolled around and enjoyed our visit and walked back to the ship. Not a huge distance.

Cable Car Experience

The arctic cathedral was closed due to a funeral but we were able to see the outside. The able car ride was cool and we got great views over the city. The museum was a nice stop and the drive through town was nice as well. Good tour, good price.

View All 16 Cable Car Experience Reviews
Bergen

Loved this town. Walked all over and took a taxi out to the stave church in Bergen.

St. Petersburg

Used SPB Tours and had 2 days of private touring. We got through all the lines ahead of everyone due to our small size and had time to visit sites not on the tour. The price was less than the cruise ships and private. Loved every minute of it.

karbop1