3. Celebrity Constellation
Having done many cruise’s on various cruise lines, we had an opportunity to try Celebrity for the first time on Constellation doing the Adriatic and Greek Islands cruise on 11th July 2015. We were a group of four, myself, hubby, my sister and brother in law with ages ranging from 51-62. We travelled out two days before boarding in Venice and stayed in Venice Mestre at Hotel Aaron. We got an excellent price considering the Rentendore Festival was on in Venice over the weekend. The hotel was small with the tiniest room I have ever stayed in but it was clean and comfortable with continental breakfast included in the price. The hotel was a five minute walk to jump on the train or there was a bus stop close to the hotel both giving easy access into Venice. On the day of boarding the hotel arranged a taxi for us at the cost of 45 Euros to the port for the four of us with large cases. Check in was reasonably straight forward and we boarded at the time stated with the added bonus of being greeted with a glass of champagne. The rooms weren’t going to be ready until 1pm so we set off exploring the ship – My initial thoughts were that it lacked any WOW Factor but it did have the feel of a more traditional cruise ship that I am used to so onwards and upwards we hoped. We checked our dining room table with the Maitre D and found that we had been put onto a large shared table. We requested a change to a table for four only and this was changed without too much hassle. Walking around the ship it does show signs of age but it was clean and had a nice feel about it with friendly staff who were doing their best to sell upgraded drinks packages and the specialty restaurants. While initially this was expected, after a few days of running the gauntlet of pushy sales staff it started to get on our nerves. We thought we had found our favourite bar during this walk around – The Martini Bar. After a few tries to upsell the drinks package from what we already had, the waiter served us our drinks. This became our least favourite bar over our eight night cruise, priority service seemed to be given to guests with gold cards and those that paid for their drinks rather than the lowly package we had. One night we gave up after a twenty minute wait despite being acknowledged as waiting! Anyway, rooms were ready and we had booked ocean view cabins on deck two which were clean, spacious and had masses of storage, so much so that some cupboards were not even used for the duration of the cruise. Our cabin steward did a good job keeping the room clean and always asked if there was anything else we needed. He managed to get us a kettle and shower gel which apparently is no longer supplied as standard...so much for Modern Luxury but hey ho, he got us some so all good. Our dining table was fine with Jose as our Waiter, Phi as Assistant Waiter and Susannah our Sommelier. The food however was a little disappointing based on our expectations. Most was just “good “ but some seemed overcooked particularly a chicken dish which was the Chef’s recommendation of the day. We had expected the quality to be a bit better as Celebrity are supposedly a 5* cruise line. With regard to the drinks package, it was adequate without the need to upgrade and also included a list of cocktails that were available. My Brother In Law experienced a surly waitress in the Casino Bar that told him Sauvignon Blanc was not included in the package despite the fact that it was! This was in front of six other customers that were waiting to be served. When he explained that he was served it elsewhere and that it was on the list, she ignored him and started serving someone else. This was reported to Guest Services. Entertainment onboard was poor in my opinion – The music in the Rendevous Lounge before dinner was so loud that you couldn’t hear yourselves speak. The shows seemed like cheap productions performed by the same cast – One exception was the girl that sang, I don’t recall her name but she had a very good voice. On previous cruise’s I have highlighted the daily planner struggling with what to choose from a great line up. On this cruise I struggled to find anything that seemed appealing. Captain Tasos was absolutely brilliant – Such a unique and funny guy and unlike any Ship’s Captains I have ever sailed with. His daily reports were simply brilliant and the whole ship sat up and listened. Don’t miss anything he is involved in, he provides the best onboard entertainment. Overall we had a great time as a family and the ports of call were lovely but I truly don’t feel like rushing back to a Celebrity ship anytime soon. If you want to sell yourselves as a 5* Cruise Line then you need to step up to the mark.

Didn't Live Up To Expectations

Marley-Bop’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Ocean View 6
Cabin 06 2131
Spacious clean cabin in midship position.
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins