Disney Magic Cruise Review

Disney Magic Cruise Review by Annemtaylor

• Sail Date: Apr 2015
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Standard Inside Stateroom

We sailed in celebration of our tenth anniversary,along with a dear friend who lives in Orlando. We had two cabins. This was my second, our friend's 11th and my husband's first cruise. We loved it.

We were on the Disney Magic on the 6th deck, in inside cabins. That part I would do differently on another cruise. I missed seeing the outside and felt a little trapped at night in the utter darkness of the inside cabin. It would be fine if we were never in the cabin, but we did spend enough time there to make the lack of a deck or porthole noticeable. The room was minuscule, but worked for just two people in ours through careful unpacking and organzing. The closet was almost too big. I would have loved some drawers in there instead.

The food was excellent in the general restaurants and in Palo, where we dined one night. We chose the second seating. 8:15 was late for dinner for us, but it was relaxed without feeling the pressure of another group coming in behind, and I am sure there were fewer children up that late, making it dinner much calmer.

Traveling as an adult group was fun. We kept busy enough, with down time when we wanted it and lots of places with quiet away from children when that was desired as well. The adult pool was crowded on our trip. And deck chairs anywhere were hard to come by. We usually found a some for the three of us after 10-15 minutes of scouring the ship.

Castaway Cay was our favorite stop. The island is well thought out and staged, with lots to do from bikes and hikes to just sitting in the sun on the lovely beaches. We brought our own snorkeling equipment. It was much cheaper than the cost to rent on the island.

The other two stops, Cozumel and Grand Cayman, felt like places to shop for merchandise made in China. None of the excursions offered really appealed to us. We were less than thrilled with our time on those islands and quickly headed back on the Magic.

I think you have to have a sense of whimsy to sail as an adult on a Disney cruise. We are all Disney lovers. We are not drinkers, so avoided the bars and discos, but they do exist for adults interested in that sort of thing. We had our pictures taken with Disney characters, watched movies (including a just released in theaters that day comic book movie) and enjoyed the shows quite a bit.

On a separate note, we were very grateful to the Disney team in helping us with a medical issue. My husband takes a daily injection that has to be kept uniformly cool. We were warned that the refrigerators in room were not designed to stay at a steady temp. They kept his medicine in a behind the scenes refrigerator that would protect the temp, and were very gracious about getting it for him each night.

Annemtaylor's Full Rating Summary

Standard Inside Stateroom
Cabin 11A 6317

Very tiny and VERY dark. I missed natural light more than I thought I would. The size I had expected. The cabin was very clean and well maintained. There was not much noise other than the last night, when, for some reason, it was incredibly loud with conversations.

Grand Cayman (Georgetown)

None of the shore excursions appealed to us. We decided to walk around and try to get past the horrible tourist area right where the ship docks. It was not easy to find much beyond that area. We were not looking for much, just a place to take a nice walk, but even that was not to be found.

Cozumel

Again, a horribly touristy row of little shops selling junk made in China. Walking a bit led us to a local supermarket (fascinating to see how different it was from what we are used to) and a nice neighborhood for doing some walking.

We regretted not doing the Mayan Pyramid excursion, but it was 7 hours long.

Castaway Cay

Disney really knows how to keep us happy! We snorkeled some to start,motor a long walk and ended the time on the adult beach. The water was very shallow, but deep enough to get pleasantly soaked before heading back to our beach chairs for some sun. The food for lunch was right there- simple burgers or BBQ with big chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

A word to those who tend to burn- even with frequent applications of sunscreen we burned! I wore a light long sleeve shirt I bought on the boat, so was not too bad except for my legs, but my poor husband is still bright red 4 days later!

Key West

We visited the "little White House" and explored on our own. It was a lovely tour. We avoided most of the main areas as they seemed to have more of a drinking theme than we were interested in experiencing.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Getting on the ship was fine. We arrived around noon and quickly got our boarding numbers and boarded. We had our pictures taken as we did. The lines were well managed.

Annemtaylor