3. Diamond Princess
We sailed on the Diamond Princess from Sydney to Singapore.This was our first Princess cruise. The embarkation was very quick and easy. We were on board in no time at all. Our cabin was smallish but the big balcony made up for the cabin size. The wardrobe space was quite generous and the bathroom small but practical. Disappointingly the Diamond Princess had technical difficulties and could not sail at full speed which meant we lost a visit to Nha Trang in Vietnam. Instead we went straight to Phu My ( the port for Ho Chi Minh City or Saigon as the locals still refer to it). This meant we then arrived in Singapore close to a day early but we overnighted there and still disembarked on the scheduled day. This was a bonus for those who were doing the back to back cruise and for those who were flying out on disembarkment day. The staff we found, were friendly and efficient except for one of the customer service members who was quite abrupt with me. My husband was also given conflicting information re the refund we were to receive from our pre-paid on board credit. Food - a little disappointed in the variety but most dishes were tasty and we enjoyed them. Our favourite meal other than the one we had in the Sterling steakhouse was on Good Friday when we had beautiful grilled salmon. The Sterling Steakhouse was amazing and we will long remember our meal there. I am sorry we didn't go there again. The crab cakes were beautiful as were our steaks. And the desserts - I can't even begin to describe them, just divine! Entertainment/Activities - we are not ones for shows but enjoyed evenings in the Crooners' Bar listening to the singer/pianists who were playing there whilst enjoying an after dinner drink. My husband also enjoyed the Art Auctions while I was happy to sit on our balcony and read. There seemed to be plenty for passengers to choose to do on board if they wanted to. Shore Excursions - Airlie Beach: we did the Proserpine Museum and Whitsunday Gold Coffee plantation tour. Loved the coffee plantation, the museum not so much but my husband did. Our coach driver was very informative and also drove us around Airlie Beach so we could get some good photo opportunities. The tender process was quite quick as well. Darwin: the excursion we chose here was the Scenic City Drive. The guide was very good and had lots of information about Darwin to share with us. Enjoyed it. Bali: Denpasar Highlights and Shopping in Tohpati & Celuk was the excursion we did in Bali. Neither of us really enjoyed it and we felt the Princess description of the excursion was a little misleading. I gave some feedback to the Shore Tours desk. Ho Chi Minh City: we loved the excursion we chose, Best of Ho Chi Minh City. The guide was excellent and the places were visited were interesting. The lunch at a local hotel banquet room was typical Vietnamese except for the French fries! It was a very long trip from Phu My into HCMC which made the day a very long one. We didn't do any Princess excursions in Brisbane or Singapore. Disembarkation - also very quick and easy. Both my husband and I had visits to the Medical Centre - wonderful care and service. They were extremely busy for a number of days as the flu and headcolds went through the ship. This most likely happened as the flu vaccine was not available before the cruise and many people would normally have already had it before they sailed. We were pleasantly surprised to find quite a few families with young children on board. It was lovely to hear their young voices and to see them enjoying themselves. We are in our mid 60s and think the majority of people on board were around our age. Certainly there were older folk but also quite a number of younger passengers. I read the previous review by Sunders and thought he/she was quite disrespectful to the more elderly folk on board. - we found the older passengers to be patient and happy to have a chat. Also the average age certainly wasn't 75-85! All in all a very good cruise which we overall enjoyed! Would we cruise Princess again? Certainly!

Repositioning Cruise to Asia

Diamond Princess Cruise Review by possum52

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Premium Balcony

Shore Excursions -

We didn't do any Princess excursions in Brisbane or Singapore.

Disembarkation - also very quick and easy.

possum52’s Full Rating Summary
Get Diamond Princess price drops

Premium Balcony
Cabin B2 C512
We found the cabin to be smallish but the extended balcony more than made up for it. The bathroom and wardrobe space were fine.
Caribe Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Denpasar Highlights and Shopping in Tohpati &a
    We didn't enjoy this excursion on the whole. We visited a market which was a real eye-opener, a temple and museum. We also visited a batik factory, a woodcarver's compound and a silversmith. The website description of the tour was misleading in that it stated the number of steps for each venue. This was completely wrong as there were many more steps and very steep steps that many passengers found difficult to climb.
    View All 12,792 Denpasar Highlights and Shopping in Tohpati &a Reviews
  • Brisbane
    As we have been to Brisbane a few times we decided to get the shuttle in the CBD and do a tour on the Hop on Hop off bus. We enjoyed the trip around Brisbane and saw some places we hadn't seen before. Well worth the cost.
    View All 207 Brisbane Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Brisbane Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Darwin.The guide was knowledgeable and shared a lot of information about the history of Darwin. We stopped off to have photo opportunities at Parliament and Government Houses and visited the museum which had a great exhibition about Cyclone Tracy. We also visited East Point where the guns were situated to protect Darwin from Japanese attack in WW2.
    View All 10 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    We loved this tour and our guide was excellent. The venues we visited were interesting - the Reunification Palace, a temple, a museum where we saw a water puppet production which was lovely, visited a laquerware factory and were driven past the Cathedral and post office, had a walk around the area where the Continental Hotel (Graham Green was a famous guest), the opera house and the city hall are all situated.
    View All 94 City Tour Reviews
  • Sydney (Australia)
    As we over nighted in Sydney, we spent the next morning wandering around the Rocks area and Circular Quay. We have been to Sydney a few times and were happy to have lunch on board and sit on our balcony and watch the passing ferries and the crowds near the Opera House.
    View All 658 Sydney (Australia) Cruise Port Reviews