3. Norwegian Dawn
This is my ninth cruise on the DAWN. 16th with NCL. 24 overall cruises. I have come to appreciate and enjoy the ship, food, entertainment and staff of the Dawn a great deal. I give all these areas high marks. EMBARKATION: This process was a nightmare, as usual. I arrived at the pier at 10:45 AM . Not NCL's fault, but the workers at the pier, most unfriendly set of people I have ever met. Once upstairs to the Latitude area, There was the usual coffee, tea, hot chocolate set up with the additions of assorted pound cake. We were led down to the security area for check in at about noonish . I was the put on another line for the check in where I got my cards and sent to yet another line for embarkation photos. I was onboard by 12:30 and was told the cabins would not be ready till 3 PM. I waited in the Java Cafe for a little bit ordered my Vanilla Latte' and talked to Marissa and Lisa, wonderful members of the bar staff who always has a smile for me. I then decided to go up to my cabin to put away my suitcase and jacket. My cabin BA balcony was already done. The Latitude Department sent a wine and fruit basket as well as tasty treats though out the week. Cabin: The Cabin was clean and set up in a king bed configuration. I had brought along my 5 year old niece, so I decided she would sleep on the pull out couch. I left a note for the room stewards to empty the mini bar and leave the bottom section off her bed so I can use the balcony door. They were great. Mini bar was emptied that night as well as the bed set up. She was also treated to towel animals every night. Off to the balcony for some last minute phone calls and a glass of wine. I did notice that the balcony was freshly painted and the railings were all varnished. The furniture was clean. Muster drill was at 3:30 PM. Restaurant reservations were being taken in Salsas the entire week. The Internet Cafe ran a special today only that if you signed up for a package you got additional free minutes. The largest packed offered is 250 minutes for $100- with 20 minutes free. If your a Latitude member, just tell the manager and you get another 20 minutes free. Cruise Rewards program is back up to $250 deposit with a $100- OBC right then. It's a great program if you plan to sail NCL within the next 2.5 years. That $250- deposit holds an entire cabin for you regardless of how many ore in it. No extra deposit is required. Things I noticed most since the dry dock. Impression of Italy was the biggest change. There are now 3 TV's in Pearly Kings Pub. The paint and railings all look fantastic. The ship was very clean and I always saw workers cleaning inside and out. The upholstery in the Garden Cafe is all new and so far spotless. The Garden Cafe seemed to have the most changes besides the new upholstering's, there are no more trays and no more railings to run your try along. The food was fantastic and I loved the variety offered each meal. Tonight's show was the Welcome Board show hosted by Matt Baker our cruise director. ITINERARY: The ports of call (NY, 1 Sea Days, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay, 1 Sea Day, Bermuda, 1 Sea Day, NY ) FIRST SEA DAY: They had NO trivia in Pearly Kings at 9 AM this cruise :( I am horrible at trivia, but as a morning person it was fun to watch. 1 PM Latitudes party. Free drinks, Dance contest, raffles and just an over all good time. we met the Captain and his head officers including the Hotel Director Jacques Le Tallec, Food and Beverage JP Seidel and his staff, Matt Baker the Cruise Director and many and his staff. Tonight was also the VIP party with again the Captain and the staff. I didn't like that this was on the same day as the Latitudes party, seemed like too much scheduling for one day. I liked it much better when it was later in the week. Evening attire "dress up" I saw everything to formal gowns to jeans. That's the best about NCL. The one thing I did notice was a man in Pearly Kings who told me he had only brought on shorts, no pants at all, due to the "whatever" ads and he was not admitted to the dining rooms. I don't know if he was actually turned away or just didn't take the chance? I ate at Impression of Italy. I was so happy to see the Italian restaurant finally getting it's own permanent place. The new menu is fantastic with table side service of the antipasto. Very nice touch! Nassau: I pre-booked the zoo and garden excursion. It was a nice trip around Nassau by bus and then 1.5 hours in the zoo itself. There are plenty of beautiful birds loose and you can feed the parrots at a certain time. There are also Flamingos walking around and some beautiful peacocks. The restrooms were clean, there is a gift shop as well as a concession stand to get a cold drink. Great Stirrup Cay - Beautiful beach day. I was on one of the first tenders out to the island, They have added lounge chairs to the island which was very nice for those of us who hate the low sand beach chairs. They had tandem Parasailing going on, a great BBQ and plenty of activities throughout the day. There is a straw market tucked in the back which sold just about everything, as well as hair braiding. We returned to the ship and decided to check out the T-Rex kids pool area. On the bottom there is a see saw, and another play apparatus. Up the stairs there is 2 large slides that went into there own pool on either side of a nice sized kids pool that only went to about 2.5 feet deep and a hot tub. The area was well maintained and very clean. There is a shower there also. There is a smaller slide into a smaller pool for younger children (maybe the 2-4 year olds) Sea Day - My niece spent all three sessions in Kids Club. They were just fantastic and kept the children very busy and well entertained. They were open 9-noon, 2-5 and then 7-10 pm. You could have kept your child there till 1 am for an extra fee. Kings Wharf, Bermuda- We just walked around the Dockyard and did some shopping. We headed for the Clocktowers, where there are a lot of the same stores that are in Hamilton. I was told that since not many ships will be in Hamilton anymore, more and more will be moving to the Dockyard. We also spent a lot of time at the Glass Works shop and watched them make the most beautiful things. Tonight was Le Bistro. Fantastic as usual and yes they have the chocolate fondue, just ask. SEA DAY - Another fantastic day at kids club. They had a Pirate Parade in the morning, Dora surprise in the afternoon and a pajama party at night. Today was the Chocoholic buffet. It was a big hit as usual. The line went around to the gift shop and back through the atrium. Tonight was the second "dress up" night. I found more people were dressed up tonight then on the first "dress up" night. The show tonight was Bollywood and the tribute by the Officers, staff and crew. This a MUST DO event. Debarkation tags were in the cabin last night. Packing started and we were sailing on what seemed like glass. The pool deck was packed, even though it was chilly. Yes the CHAIR HOGS are still here. I was doing the last minute packing and writing out thank you cards. Debarkation- Easy as usual. I noticed a lot of people did self-debark that was promoted the second to last day. Once off there were more than enough porters ready to help. SHIP and STAFF: I appreciate all the updates that took place in the short time of dry dock. It has really made a difference seeing my last cruise on the Dawn was only 6 weeks ago. I always enjoy everything about this ship. The food was consistently top notch. The staff was always friendly and helpful and made me feel like I was truly a welcomed guest aboard the ship. There were plenty of activities to enjoy aboard ship on the days at sea. The movie theatre had a good selection of current movies, as well as 2 movie channels on the stateroom televisions. Kids Club was just fantastic with the kids and they never seemed bored.

Norwegian Dawn - Bermuda

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by poohisme2

• Sail Date: June 2007
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony
Muster drill was at 3:30 PM.
Restaurant reservations were being taken in Salsas the entire week.
poohisme2’s Full Rating Summary