Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by LarsPson
- Sail Date: February 2015
- Destination: Asia
- Cabin Type: Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Got to Marina Bay Cruise at around 11.30, check-in was a breeze, but given a color for embarkation /immigration check, which was not recognized properly by the staff working there. Since we had a GS, we would expect priority boarding, and once we told the staff we had a suite, we where allowed to pass immediately, and did not have to wait for color red which probably was the first color anyway.
Had to leave our passports, which led to a 1264 sticker permanently stuck to our passports, since it does not come off very easily.
After this you entered through a door into the ship, and was stopped by the ships photographers, which mandated that a photo has to be taken (regardless of the cue building up). I said that all photo services is voluntary , I got the sharp reply that it was required due to a software upgrade, which was very silly. (On the following cruise they had moved the location of the photography, so they where not causing any cues to build up).
Once aboard, we headed up to windjammer, which had good food and not any big cues to talk about.
- Breakfast : Had it in Windjammer, but sitting in Chops Grill (benefit of having a gold card). Chops grill does not have any signage that you as a gold card holder can sit in Chops grill for breakfast and lunch though. Food overall was very good, lots to choose from, and of course more focus on asian dishes. Service in the windjammer on Mariner seems to be abit less compared to our other cruises, no one usually asked you if you wanted juice, coffee or tea.
- Lunch: This we also had in Windjammer, good selection and very tasteful food indeed.
- Dinner: This we had in the main dining room. The menu has been adopted to suite the asian public more so generally more asian dishes , and some rearrangement of the classics selection. We loved the selection of foods, taste and service we got. Nothing to complain about at all, but if you are looking for the traditional western style dining on the Mariner, this might not be for you.
K.L/Port Klang: Our booked excursion was cancelled so instead we just went outside to a local food court and had some iced kopi and cold thai coconut. The cruise terminal free wi-fi did not work for us.
Langawi: Finding a taxi which wanted to take us to just one single place (Langawi Cablecar) was very hard. Every one said, Taxi taxi, but when you told them your destination, it was almost an instant NO in return. After a while we found a friendly driver which agreed to take us to the cable car and back, with a souvenir stop, for 100 RM. After we got back to the ship around 14 there was now lots of taxis trying to pick up people to go to town.
Phuket: Had a booked excursion but had to cancel due to sickness. But we had a tender boat directly to
Patong beach, so finding something to do is not to hard if you have nothing booked.
Concierge lounge on deck 9 was closed on this cruise. Instead Diamond lounge on deck 14 was converted in to a combined diamond/concierge lounge. First days they had problems setting up food, and waiting services properly before/on 5.00 pm, so waiting time for a snack and a drink could be quite long.
Overall cruise impressions:
This was a short cruise, mostly having asian cruisers onboard, this means everything said, is being backed up by a mandarin translation. Also this cruise was sailing quite full, which meant that was lots of people around, but nothing to complain about. I just wish that RCCL had the same attention to detail in the staterooms, as it has to public areas.
One area that was a bit forgotten , was the main pool area, where vents and pipes showed signs of corrosion (does not look very nice), and also pieces of mosaic that had gotten loose, and that was just painted over, instead of being properly repaired.
Disembarkation: Since we where on a B2B, we had it quite easy.
- Read more Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas Reviews
- Read Cruise Critic's Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas Review
250,000+ people have entered their email