3. Norwegian Jewel
Our trip started as an adventure in booking a timeshare. We couldn't find anything and airfare is so expensive, so we decided to try a cruise again. It's been 3 years since a week cruise on Carnival so we looked for something 2-3 weeks away. We have only cruised Carnival before and enjoyed each one. The thought of going through the chaos in Galveston was not a pleasant thing. So we search for a cruise out of the Houston Baypoint Cruise Terminal. We focused on Norwegian and Princess. We opted for the Freestyle! We booked a mini-suite, bought a romance package and had some credit onboard. This ended up only being a 55 minute drive and very easy parking. Embarkation was easy. My first impression was it seemed to be all "seniors" on the ship. That wasn't the case but since I'm part of that group, it was ok! Overall this was a great trip. The Norwegian staff did a great job. We relaxed and partied. The excursions were plentiful and in all price ranges. Buffet food was perfect for what it was. I would recommend taking water as it's not always available in large quatities. Part of the Romance package included dinner for 2 at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Both meals were very good and service was attentive and not rushed. Food in the main dining rooms Tsar Palace and Azure was okay. The last night was Prime Rib. My only gripe was that the meat was barely a quarter inch thick! It must have been because we ate late. The last 3 nights ended up in the Spinnaker Lounge which had activities from Newlywed Game, White Out Party and Live DJ, Bands and dancing. We only made one show in the Stardust Theater so we can't comment on the talent. The best part of the cruise was meeting people from all over the country and Europe. I could not find anyone from Houston! For all those folks from out of state, I'm sorry you have to see the ugly side of Houston in order to get to the ship. But if you had to go to Galveston you would quickly forget the ugliness and think what a beautiful cruise terminal in Houston! We will cruise with Norwegian again and hopefully a lot sooner than 3 years.

Great Birthday and Anniversary Cruise from Houston

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by 11nole

• Sail Date: January 2015
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony
We will cruise with Norwegian again and hopefully a lot sooner than 3 years.
11nole’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11098
The attraction of this cabin was a full size bathtub, which my wife likes. The cabing was tight but roomy enough for all our stuff. I recommend taking a 3 way plug for your electronic devices, Internet is available for $55 for 100 minutes. It works ok but can be slow during high traffic times. The beds were typical cruise type beds, nothing fancy. Coffee machine and Hair dryer included in the room. Flat screen TV had 4 or 5 channels that were ship centric. The others were a couple of movie channels, a kids channel, Fox News, MSNBC and ESPN International
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins