3. Norwegian Breakaway
I'll state up front that this is my first cruise. My wife has cruised a few time before. We went on a 2-night cruise to nowhere out of NYC to celebrate our 40th birthdays. We arrived to the port in New York City around noon and went through the cruise terminal within 15 minutes. I was surprised that we walked onto the ship so quickly. Immediately upon boarding Breakaway I could tell that I liked the style of the ship. The interior decor is fresh and modern, yet warm. Very different than the Peter Max-designed hull artwork, which is quite flamboyant. We went to find our balcony stateroom to set our luggage down. We brought only carry on bags for the quick sailing. We found that our stateroom was already made up for us. However, there were a few spots where the cleaning crew had missed the mark. They were good about fixing the issue later that day and we had no other issue with the cabin. The cabin was a good size for the two of us. I was not expecting a lot in terms of spaciousness and I felt that I was pleasantly surprised how airy the room felt. The decor was clean and modern. The bathroom was roomy, with ample sink area storage and a good size shower. The balcony was wonderful, with a table and two chairs for relaxing. It was on the smaller side and it would be difficult to sit in a recliner on the balcony. The sliding door was very solid and when locked did a great job of blocking out outside noise. Also, as a parent I appreciated the lock mechanism that was set high on the door, away from small hands. Departure from New York City is amazing at night. The skyline all lit up is a sight to behold, as well as the Statue of Liberty. Passing under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge is also a high point of the sail out. I will say that since it is January it was very cold. I was well prepared with lots of layered clothing, gloves, and a winter hat. Dinner at the Manhattan Room was excellent. I have to say I was ready for the food to be pretty blah, but in general I was very happy with the food I received. In particular the fish dishes were excellent. I had a broiled cod dish that was amazing and my wife had salmon that was also excellent. We liked the decor and energy of the Manhattan Room and did both of our dinners there. We had lunch in Taste, which is a seated meal, and the Garden Cafe, which is the buffet. Taste was excellent and the buffet was generally good, though not quite as good as the seated restaurants. The Garden Cafe was a great place to grab a quick snack or ice cream treat though, and provided great views from deck 15 aft. We ate breakfast at O'Sheenan's pub and at Taste. Both very good basic breakfast. My favorite food related thing was the Sabrett hot dog carts that pop up around the ship. Delicious! We went to see Rock of Ages. This is not a show for kids. It is very risqué and they make an announcement to that affect before it starts. As a person who grew up loving hard rock in the 1980s it was a great trip down memory lane. I absolutely loved the show! But definitely not for kids. We also bought entrance to the Ice Bar, which is basically a freezer with a bar and ice sculptures in it. The $20 admission gets you two drinks, so it's in line with other bard on the ship. It was a cool experience, pun intended, and I am glad we did it. Probably wouldn't repeat though. Obviously since it's a winter sailing we couldn't make use of the waterslides. There were a few brave souls in the heated pools and hot tubs. I walked the ship and found an amazing looking ropes course and mini golf. My biggest regret is that we didn't have more time and sail to a warm weather location where we could really enjoy the outdoor facilities that Breakaway has to offer. We docked back at the port of New York early on Sunday morning. We ate breakfast with friends and made our way off the ship at our leisure, around 9:30. It was a simple process to get through immigration and we met our ride outside the terminal. My favorite feature of the ship the the Waterfront, which is the wrap around promenade on deck 8. Many of the restaurants offer outdoor seating in warmer weather and it's just a great place to walk around the ship early in the morning and take in the sea air. Overall we had a terrific time on Breakaway. We would definitely go again, but next time on a longer cruise to a warm weather location and with our kids. For me it was the perfect introduction to cruising and the location in NYC is super convenient.

Great weekend getaway on the Breakaway

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Psychobueller

• Sail Date: January 2015
  • Destination: Nowhere
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Psychobueller’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD 10740
Standard balcony cabin. Plenty of room for two. Excellent lighting. Good size bathroom. Balcony on the small side at 30 sq ft.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins