Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by ChappysMets

• Sail Date: Dec 2014
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We left Sunday December 28th from Port of New Orleans. The weather was a chilly overcast day, if I had only realized this was a sign from above.

We had Cabin number 11512 a "mini suite". First off our cabin steward Jerome was one of the ONLY bright spots on the ship.

As always we get a balcony so my "other half" can smoke. For some unknown reason NCL didn't inform ANYONE in our group of there new NO smoking on balconies policy. They said the new rules went into effect on Nov 1st, why not tell people who paid EXTRA money for the purpose of smoking (mind you we didn't pay extra for balcony)?? Instead of being told once you've boarded the ship. First major hiccup.

The constant annoying announcements of Dingo Dave, it seemed like EVERY 5 minutes he was speaking. Everyone is given a daily cruise itinerary. Let the people figure it out themselves.

Second major hiccup. Casino. For some unknown reason only certain Video Poker machines were turned on the entire week. When asked by us and our Casino tour guide we were told " machines are old and need parts" BUT yet one day the "broken" one worked while the good one that paid off the night before "broke down"

The overall attitude of the Casino Staff was AWFUL... They ran a Slot Tournament for the week, over 200 people paid $20 an entry to win a "Grand Prize" of $500. That's $4,000 collected $500 paid out.

For the record I did not enter this event, just watched and listened.

I did make the finals of the Blackjack Tournament, needing 2 entries ($40). Once again they had 250 enter to win $500. $5,000 collected.

First hand of the finals a young lady to my right and I went all in, we lost. Thinking we were done yet a spectator yelled out a misdeal had occurred. Low and behold they reviewed the tape and yes the deal had not dealt properly. Low and behold the woman who "lost" ended up winning the contest. The other 4 finalists were furious as they should have been.

Third hiccup Teppanakki waitstaff was just the WORST ever. We went two times, both times they seem so disinterested in serving us. Must say the Chefs were both so good. They ask for your cabin card after you order, then you have to ask three times to get it back. Asked for hot sauce four times NEVER got it.

Fourth hiccup Final Bingo. They announced $5,000 Grand Prize.. There were over 300 people playing paying $69 per entry. $20,700 collected. after 47 numbers no one won the Grand Prize, they said winner would get $1,000. Rest of the money NCL keeps. Many loud boos and catcalls occured to no avail.

I understand cruise lines must make money, but everywhere we turned on this cruise the obvious gouging was disheartening. This was my 6th NCL cruise over the last 3 years.

Sad to say I'll NEVER sail with them again.

One final thing just to keep the record straight because of our casino affiliation we got the cabin for $281 per person for the week. Which is a great deal. Even though we can get the same deal again this year we will NEVER AGAIN sail with NCL. NEVER

ChappysMets's Full Rating Summary