3. Viking Tor
This was our first trip to Europe and flew in from Newark. Learned a couple things that have nothing to do with the cruise - Don't take Lufthansa 1 leg and then Air Canada (lol). Also when a airline agent asks where you are going - - tell them your FINAL destination. Viking is an interesting company. You make your reservation and need to pay pretty darn quickly - or you will lose your reservation - if someone books and pays prior to you doing so (paying in full). So we paid for this at least 18 months prior to our trip. We stayed at Hotel Estherea in Amsterdam and loved it! The Viking Tor was very light and airy. Our room 200 was directly off the lobby. I was a bit worried about the location at first - but soon realized that it was quiet and very convenient to everything -- especially the front desk & the dining room. I never felt like there wasn't enough room for everyone. Tours included were organized very well. Buses, guides who really loved their subjects and knew everything about their subjects. I enjoyed them all. We did go on the optional Alsace Wine Tasting. I enjoyed it but once was enough. The evenings are quiet. There was a music trivia one evening and on 2 evenings there were people that came in and sang local songs. I enjoyed all of those. We also had a musician play and sing after dinner - he will not win any prizes but he was happy and tried his best. I brought cards and we played Hearts. Dining on the Tor was very good. I enjoyed all dinners - some dishes were not to my personal taste - or I felt that they could have been tweaked slightly to be more enjoyable - but on the whole - very good. My favorite was the Beef tenderloin & short rib dinner. I thought that the German buffet (and galley tour) was more than I wanted to tackle after a busy touring day in Germany. But the food was good. Waiters, room attendant and front desk people - along with the Program Director were all very friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with them again. The Captain was very amusing and gave tours of the helm and answered lots of questions from the guys mostly. Free wine and beer at lunch and dinner (I could get used to that!) Free Wi-Fi on the ship also. I would cruise Viking again as soon as I save enough money!

Rhine Getaway; Loved it

Viking Tor Cruise Review by BettyPC

• Sail Date: October 2014
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony Superior
We stayed at Hotel Estherea in Amsterdam and loved it!

BettyPC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Tor price drops

French Balcony Superior
Cabin C 200
Small cabin - French balcony on the main (2nd floor). The bed was comfortable - the pillows not so much.You can ask for different / more pillows. Refrigerator, desk area, hair dryer are all included. The bathroom is a good size for one average person at a time. I loved the shower gel, hair products etc.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins