3. Volendam
This was a very average ship. The service was not on a par with many of the other ships, although our room steward. We did return to the cabin one day at 2:00 pm and nothing had been done in the cabin. The problem, I think, is that they don't work for the tips because those are taken off ones final tab. So, if someone is actually doing an exceptional job, you basically have to tip twice. Get away from the automatic tipping fee. The ship has two pools - one outside and another one that can be covered. That was fairly popular. I used the gym, which was more than adequate. And the third deck had a great walk-around. We did enjoy the cooking presentations by Michael and Santana - even got a couple of H.A. recipe books. We ate suppers in the main dining room. I had prime rib the first night and it was great. Most meals, though, were barely average. My lamb was so overcooked it was dry, and the fish I had on a salad was so overcooked it was dry and chewy. The steak and lobster was fine although the steak portion was no more than the size of a silver dollar - one bite. The entertainment was quite good, considering there were no 'name' performers. The lead man and woman had beautiful voices. The comedienne was okay at best. There was nothing else really noticeable about the ship, except, as previously stated, it was tired. We did enjoy our 3 excursions: 1. For the first trip in Juneau, we participated in a whale watching cruise. The boat was larger than I expected and had more people - but we did see whales - even saw one breach, which was apparently very rare. The sky opened up which we were out and the weather turned sunny, which made the area surrounding the water absolutely beautiful 2. The second trip was out of Skagway and was a 1.6 mile hike up the Chilcoot Trail. This was beautiful but with more climbing than I expected. Once we got close to our destination, it poured. With the pelting rain we had to get on our raft and return to Skagway, absolutely soaked. 3. Our third excursion was easily our favorite. We were taken on a vessel from 'The Deadliest Catch' TV show and spent a great time watching them catch huge crabs and other sea food, along with a very large octopus. The narration and stories alone were worth the price of the excursion. Our main highlight of the whole trip was the cruise into Glacier Bay. We had wonderful weather and I took some of the most beautiful photos ever. So, for us, the cruise was well worth the cost, but the ship itself, not so much,

A Very Average Cruise Ship

Volendam Cruise Review by pompeytoo

• Sail Date: September 2014
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom
This was a very average ship.
We did enjoy our 3 excursions:

pompeytoo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin E 1878
The cabin was fine with good storage. With the few scrapes, one could see it was due for a make-over, which is apparently coming in December.*** Why only one plug outlet?? This is ridiculous. I have a CPAP machine, so we spent the trip with this large extension cord across the floor. The one plug also makes it difficult to charge electronic devices. and then there are the hairdryers, electric razors....
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins