3. Explorer of the Seas

This was our first trip with Royal Caribbean, we have sailed with Celebrity 4 times previously. A friend dropped us off at the pier about 11:30 am because we were in a JS we went through the suite line and was on the ship in 15-20 minutes from the time we entered the terminal. The ship was beautiful and big, maybe a little big for our tastes. We had the early seating dinner and we were at table 407 which was a table for 2. We didn't put in a request for this but we did not mind it being just us. Our waiter Jose and his asst. Rhyan were absolutely great and we actually gave them an extra tip. For the most part we really enjoyed the food as well but we found the portions to be small sometimes, a perfect example was my wife had an entree that came with brocoli and carrots, the brocoli was 1/2 of a piece and the the carrot was thin slice of a carrot. The food in the Wind Jammer was typical cafateria food and seating up there was a pain. We ate at Johnny Rockets twice and really liked it. My wife thought the onion wings were the best she ever had and I liked the shakes.

I thought the common areas in the ship were very nice if a little small for such a big ship. Every night on the Promenade the were having some kind of sale on tables that they set up in the promenade and it was like a feeding frenzy and made passing impossible. I actually suggested to two people that seemed to be a safety issue, I'm sure others did as well so that after a few nights they adjusted the size of the area.

Overall we had a great time but we will be sticking with Celebrity. We missed not haveing the late night food option such as the theme nights and grand buffet. It just seemed that there was never enough help. We thoght the help they did have tried but are not being given the proper tools by management. A good example is the guest relation areas, they had seven or eight service areas at guest relations and only ever 1 or 2 attendants and one person trying to expidite the line. Amother example was the ice show, which was great by the way. Your show time was by muster station and about 5-10 minutes before the show they were going to check see pass cards and allow standby's to enter. We got there 20 minutes and walked right in luckily we found a seat but it was packed and people were sitting in the aisles but nowhere to be seen was anyone to try to help those folks or to see if they were part of the muster stations for that show.

I also wanted to mention Leigh (CD) and TT (sidekick) one day on thier morning show which I found funny most days they were reading the shout outs and read one from a lady who said she could not wait for the cruise to be over and get off of the ship. After they read that they said good for her and that they couldn't wait for her to get of the ship. I felt this was in very poor taste and thought she really had to be at wits end to right that and felt that Leigh should have sought her out personally and tried to help her instead of ridiculing her.

Like other reviewer the process at the port is a disaster. It took us 45 minutes or so to get to a point where our friend could drop us off. Disembakation was where the process really went down hill. They seemed to be in a hurry to get everyone off so they would call several numbers and this would lead to several hundred people being jammed in a hall way or stairway waiting for busses to the terminal. The really need a lesson in people moving because that is the last impression of the company that you get and it is not a good one. After we were off it took our friend more that an hour to make her way around to us. to get picked up.

First trip Royal Caribbean

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by lrm1964

lrm1964’s Full Rating Summary

Our cabin was in great shape and in our 5 cruises this was the biggest cabin we have ever had. My loved the walk-in closet, she wanted to invite someone over to sit as we had the couch and two extra chairs with room to spare. Our attendant Francis was absolutely wonderful and anything we asked for he took care of right away.

Explorer of the Seas Deck Plans