• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

JenmaryB
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Feb 2014
Cabin:

It's clear from the Hurtigruten website, as well as reviews, that this is a coastal ferry not a cruise liner. in my view this is a very well appointed ferry with comfortable seating in all lounges. Cabins are snug, but we had plenty of room on our N category cabin on deck 3.

Reception staff and tour manager are helpful. At no point were we unable to find a seat in the lounges. The food is variable: eggs at breakfast are often cold, and the evening meal could never be described as hot: more likely tepid ad portions are small. Having said that, the quality of the food is acceptable and at breakfast and lunch there is plenty of choice and free seating. Evening meals are fixed menu. I'm not keen on fish so ordered the vegetarian option in advance. Apart from one meal, the veggie options were fine. The one exception was when I had mashed potato with a side of boiled potatoes!

Do take lots to do though, as there is a lot of time spent on the ship. We took cards, board games and lots of reading. The scenery is lovely but there are the odd rainy or windy days where it's not pleasant out on deck.

Cabin N

I was worried that we'd get a lot of noise being near reception but we had no bother at all in this respect. I would very much advise deck 3 N cabins becuase they are larger than some on deck 5. All the deck 5 cabins ran the risk of people walking past and looking into the cabin, whereas deck 3 has no promenade. It's true that the windows on deck 3 probably get more spray and towards the end of the holiday it was a bit hard to see out clearly!

Find a Kong Harald Cruise from $1,034