3. Carnival Paradise
My review of Carnival Paradise on April 6th, 2003 sailing of the Exotic Western Caribbean... Overall, we enjoyed this non-smoking cruise. I loved not smelling like smoke after exiting the casino or the bars. The room stewards and the dining service were wonderful. There are lots of activities for all types of people. We even experienced some excitement when our ship turned around to check on a boat floating in the middle of nowhere. I was upset that they did the drill as we sailed from Miami. I lost my chance to video tape the departure. The first couple of days were a bit bumpy, but not too many people were affected. My biggest disappointment was the food, although the sushi rolls were good. There were a lot of older kids running loose around the boat. Many of which were running up & down the halls. They closed the pool kind of early, too. Belize and Roatan are 2 fairly new ports. They are not commercialized like Cozumel. I highly recommend buying a shore excursion to see the beautiful parts of these ports, since the areas at and around the port are very third world. For Belize, we purchased Carnival's Cave Tubing and Rain Forest Exploration excursion. It was a great experience. They will provide tubes, life jackets, and lunch. It does require good physical health and good shoes. It started off with a bus ride (with AC) through Belize City to the rain forest. Our host gave a wonderful tour & talk of the areas that we passed through. Next, we walked about 40 minutes through the jungle carrying our tubes. Insect repellant is a must have! I was ready for the cool water by the time we reached the river. The tour took us through a cave system and we ended up close to where we started. After the excursion, we went to many of the port shops. There weren't any great deals, but you can get prescription items over the counter at the pharmacy. Be careful in some shops, we found that many items (i.e. Silver) were also sold in Cozumel for less money. For Roatan, we purchased the Horseback Riding excursion, which was also well worth the money. They took us along a private beach and some of the richest areas of the island. We also saw some volcanic rock formations along the coastline. This is a very beautiful island. After the excursion, we hired the taxi driver that returned us to port to take us to West End Village. This village is mainly a dive and snorkel community with a few shops and dining places. We also stopped at a grocery store where we purchased 2 bottles of Nicaraguan Rum, 3 sodas and a candy bar for $12 US. For Grand Cayman, we purchased the Reef and Wreck Snorkel excursion. I do NOT recommend this one. I experienced better snorkeling in Cancun. Grand Cayman is a clean island. There are lots of expensive stores and banks here. We ate some delicious Jamaican Patties at the Tortuga Factory Store for only $1.50. In Cozumel, we did some shopping at the port and in downtown. We were able to negotiate some good deals. Be aware of some of the stores - they will rip you off! Shop around, if time permits. Drinking is cheap here. I noticed lots of happy drunks on board. If you are non-smoker and want a good bargain, then you would probably enjoy this cruise. alexnita@netzero.com July 2003

Carnival Paradise