3. Norwegian Spirit
We headed up to Seattle on Friday, 9/2/05. It is usually a five hour drive, but took us close to eight as we stopped several times on our way. We stopped and had breakfast on our way out of town at I-Hop. Then when we got into Washington, we stopped at the outlet malls and shopped around. I didn't find anything that I could not live without. We also had Mexican food for lunch. We cut over at Olympia in order to get to Port Orchard. This is what really added a lot of time to our trip. We finally made it to Alma''s and David's house at 5:00 p.m. Alma had left us the house key. For the most part I had dozed while mom drove. I wasn't feeling all that great, don know why. Alma brought pizza and hot-wings home for dinner. I fell asleep on the sofa about 9:00 p.m. On Saturday, we went out to breakfast before we caught the Bremerton Ferry over to Seattle. Once we were on the ferry, I was getting way, way, too excited. It took us about 45 minutes to get to Seattle. I drove off the ferry and headed to the parking for the NCL Cruise Line. As I was driving down the street, a yellow taxi cab made an illegal turn in front of me and I missed him by mere inches. He had to back up to get out of my way as he could not make the turn. The gal behind me was honking at me. Yep, to my mother's dismay, I flipped her the bird. My heart was going 90 mph! My breathing had accelerated. If mom had been driving, I think we would have nailed him. Boarding the ship wasn't a problem. They met us in the parking garage, unloaded our luggage and then whisked is off to the loading area. Mom had her walker with her. We signed in, mom gave them her credit card, we presented ID, Oregon Driver's License and certified birth certificate. They took our pictures and issued us each a room card. We went through metal detectors and walked onto the ship. It was beautiful. The grand area went from the 7th floor to the 13th floor. There were three glass elevators to the left of us. Also to the left of us were another set of stairs that went on either side of a grand piano. The piano was sitting on a huge slab of moss green glass that was probably 16 feet around, it has been etched with tulips. Under that were fountains completely encircling the glass. It was a spectacular view as you rode the elevators up and down to the 7th floor. The ceiling has wonderful stained glass. I felt like I was in a palace with all the Oriental artwork and motif. We headed up to our stateroom, which had a queen size bed, small chair and sofa. We also had a balcony with two chairs on it. Small writing desk. It was not spectacular, but didn't matter, we didn't stay in it for very long. At 3:00 p.m. all passengers had to assemble on the Promenade (sp) deck below their assigned lifeboats for a drill. We had to wear our life vests. They had whistles attached to them, along with a homing devise that you activate. The lifeboats hold 150 people. There were a total of 2,159 passengers and 943 crew aboard the ship. The first night out, Mom and I had dinner at the Raffle's BBQ on the 12th floor. This BBQ took place by the pool and four hot-tubs. We had hamburgers, ribs, potatoes salad. Very nice. We moved inside later and went to the Galaxy of the Stars. This is a huge bar area on that floor that has windows all around it. You can look out and see where you are heading on the left, right and forward. (If you are seated in the center). I did not take any pictures of the boat! I cannot believe that I forgot. Anyway, mom and I got a bucket of beer! It was a six-pack that was in a small yellow bucket so that we could haul it around with us. Sticker shock if ever there was $18! OUCH. That also included a 15% gratuity that they just add to your bill. The next day, we were still out at sea. I explored the ship from top to bottom, stem to stern. All we did on Sunday was explore. Mom gambled some and won about $70 in less then five minutes and lost it in two! Lots and lots of fun. We went to the English Pub for lunch and had fish and chips. Very, very good. We ate at Maxime's that night which is one of the restaurants that charges a cover charge. $25 per person. Mom had a whole lobster and I had lobster and steak. The best bread around too! After dinner we went back down to deck 7 so that mom could sit on the Promenade deck and smoke and drink her coffee. I was looking out with the binoculars when I saw a pod of orca whales. 5 or 6 of them. I was so excited, I was shouting at mom to look... pretty soon there must have been 15 people trying to see them as well. Wow, they were spectacular coming out of the ocean! Because we were so close to the main elevators, they were always crowded. I would wait until mom got into the elevator and then walk up or down the steps to meet her. Probably why I did not gain any weight! We docked in Ketchikan on Monday morning at 6:00 a.m. This is where mom was suppose to take the helicopter and dog sled ride, but they had cancelled it because of the conditions in the dog camp. She took a boat ride and did not like it much. But that was the one year anniversary of dad's passing. I'm sure whatever she did would not be good. Me, I had a great time. We got in a bus and started out of town. As we were crossing a stream the gal stopped so that we could see the salmon swimming up stream. There was so many! I've never seen anything like it. Next we went to a lodge and boarded a boat to take us out to the crab traps. Beautiful waterfalls everywhere. Beautiful, plain and simple. There were several crabs in the pot. On our way back we saw bears at the mouth of a stream feasting on salmon. It was quite a wonderful sight. They just stopped and stared at us. The things are huge! When we got back to the lodge we had a full crab lunch. Oh my gosh, I felt like I had gone to food heaven. Hot, fresh crab with melted butter! I got back to town in time to do a little shopping, but was still worried about mom, so I headed back to the ship. You have to present your guest card and photo id and everything has to go through security. This side trip was #2 on my list of fun. That night we ate at Raffles which is the buffet and they had seafood night, lots of crab, salmon, scallops, fish. All very yummy. I went to the show at the Moulin Rouge at 7:30. It was a production of various broadway tunes, dancing, singing and kicking up their heels very good! That ended at 8:30 p.m. I headed back to the room and mom was sleeping so I decided to hit the hot tub for awhile.... ahhhh what a wonderful day! We set sail for our next destination. Juneau. 09/06/05 I have to admit, that I wish I had done something different in Juneau. I took a tour of a gold mine and learned the history of crushing the rock to look for the gold. It was interesting, but from what mom told me about her trip to the Mendenhall Glacier, that is the trip I should have taken! Oh well, right? She took some great pictures that I have to figure out how to size. I suspect that I will put all the pictures together this weekend and then post. On the way back to the ship, our tour guide was telling us about the totem poles around town. There really were some spectacular ones that she stopped at for us to admire. Then, she told us that they cost $3500-$5000 per foot! They after from about 10 feet to 25 feet! Wow, but they were so beautiful. When I got back to the ship, I just went to our stateroom. I was worried about mom and watched out our balcony, reading my book, until she hobbled into sight. Then, I would go down to where the passengers were embarking and carry her stuff back up to the room. We left Juneau around 3:00 p.m. and sailed to the Sawyer Glacier. Now, I must tell you, this was my favorite place we went where we did not get off the ship. After sailing for about 1.5 hours, we started to see small and then larger chunks of ice floating by the ship. The were beautiful white and aqua blue from the ice being so old. There were waterfalls about every - 90 - 120 feet. All various sizes flowing down the maintains. The mountains raised straight out of the fjord. The water was green from the algae that lives in it. This was the most spectacular, haunting site along our journey. So pristine in its beauty. Mom and I had reservations at Le Bistro at 5:30 p.m. We were not suppose to get to the glacier until 6:15 p.m. but arrived at 5:45 p.m. So I left the restaurant to take pictures. Fortunately, the promenade deck was right outside the restaurant door and I was able to go right out and take the pictures. This was the best dinner meal we had that night. I had an appetizer of lobster/crab/baby shrimp, wrapped up in a thin layer of smoked salmon and topped with caviar. There were also three small slices of avocado on the plate, with a sort of dipping sauce. This was heavenly! I had never had caviar, but certainly understand why people like it. It was delicious! I had chicken breast stuffed with wild rice and mushrooms. I did not care of the onion soup and only ate a small amount of it and passed on the Caesar salad. We had the chocolate / fruit fondue for desert and this was WONDERFUL!!!! 09/7/05 Skagway. We arrived in Skagway at 6:00 a.m. My tour was scheduled for 7:25 a.m., Mom's not until 9:25 a.m. I left her at her favorite spot, the Blue Lagoon, and headed off. I was taking a float trip at an eagle preserve. This was my highlight of the trip! I loved it! We had to take a ferry over to Haines. It was about a 45 minute ride. Amazing the history of their "liquid" highways. If we had driven, it would have been 350 miles, by boat, it is 25 miles! Wow. I loved the fjords. The mountains jutting out of the water to beautiful views. More waterfalls could be seen here. There were not as many, as the night before, but the ones that we did see were wonderful. (Personally, I think someone should do a coffee-table book on the waterfalls of Alaska!) When we arrived in Haines, we were met by our tour guild, Ty. He was a hoot! We boarded our bus. Now, mind you, on every tour, there were couples and I was always the "single" one. He partnered up with me and we had a great time chatting on our way to the place we were going to get on the rafts. As we drove along, he pointed out several streams where we could see TONS of salmon. I kid you not, you could walk out there and just pick them up, to hell with fishing! We arrived at our destination. There were a total of five large rafts. We took off our shoes and put on rubber boots and rain ponchos as it was sprinkling on and off. We were all given life-preservers too. Our head guide gave us a talk about what we needed to do should the rafts become stuck or someone falls in. They also demonstrated how to get on the raft. We had to "raffle" a few times where we sort of got stuck in the low water on our journey. That is where you all bounce up and down on the raft... too, too, funny! My assigned guide was Debra aka DZ. She was awesome. About 25ish. The rafts seat 8. I was in the front of the raft with a husband and wife. Two couples in the back and DZ in the center. We got in and started down the river in search of eagles and other wild life. We were not on the river two minutes and started to spot eagles in the trees. We saw salmon swimming by. (Mom's trip she was on a jet boat and saw a moose.) We all chatted and floated searching for eagles. We must have spotted at least 25-30 adults and many younger birds. We saw nests and mating pairs. They were so majestic. According to our guild, they have 200-250 birds in residence year round, however, for some reason in November, they have well over 4000 birds! They even have a festival celebrating this. We floated past an Indian village that was abandoned many years ago. We learned about fish net fishing that all Alaskan residences are allow to do. We were told that the water we were on was less that 12 hours old from the glacier. We floated by the new Indian village with was extremely modern. We learned all kinds of things. The trip was almost 3 hours long. As we approached our landing, I look above me and not 12 feet over us were two eagles. I felt like I could almost reach out and touch them. I'm praying those photos came out. They are on the film I took on Mom's 35 mm. She has the disks and I need to go get them. Once we landed, we were treated to a picnic lunch. Roast beef & turkey, 2, 3 kinds of cheeses, all sorts of bread, homemade cookies, hot chocolate, coffee and lemonade. I loved this trip and anyone going to Haines I would encourage to take it! I tipped DZ, Ty and Anne, our bus driver, $5.00 each. They made the trip so wonderful! Once I got back to town, I went shopping. They have the Alaskan T-Shirt company with lots and lots of souvenirs. They were all marked down from 50% to 75% and I made a killing! I wish I had bought more there. Ended up spending $60. They said on the ticket I had saved $85.00. I believe it. I got cups, t-shirts, five necklaces, a drinking glass, and so much more! I headed back to the ship and took a quick hot-tub while I awaited Mom's return. She got back about 1.5 hours later. I had eaten at Raffles, the buffet when I got back so I was not hungry. Mom decided to try out the Garden Room. She was seated at a table of 10 with what she referred to as "odds & ends" of singles and couples. She thoroughly enjoyed her dinner and the companionship. Me, I got my book out and laid in bed resting. I fell to sleep before she was back at 9:30 p.m. I awoke around 3:00 a.m. The boat was rocking back and forth, left to right, I felt like we were a cork. I could year the hull slapping against the waves. I looked out our window. It was horrible. I could not go back to sleep and actually pulled the life-vests out of the closet and set them on the desk. Just in case. Mom slept through the whole thing as she had taken a pain pill! 09/8/05. We docked in Prince Rupert, British Columbia around 2:30 p.m. that day. Mom and I took a train ride together out of there. We enjoyed it as it went along another fjord. There was a lot of history told to us here as well. Mainly, they hand tons of canaries throughout the area that had failed over the years. The pulp mill pulled out in the late-90s and their economy had gone to crap especially. That is when they decided to get the cruise ships into their port. I enjoyed this trip as well. Very informative, but for the life of me, I cannot remember hardly anything. One thing that I did remember, was we stopped at a place where the Indians had made a drawing that was over 150 years old. I have pictures and they turned out very well. (I think I will take Pegs advice and post them somewhere and just link them here.) That was our last port of call. 09/09/05. We were out to sea the entire day. Mom and I went to breakfast at 7:00 a.m. as we were going to the spa! Mom was hungry. I've never seen her eat so much food that day. We got to the spa and we were having "moderate seas". Moderate my ass! I had a neck, back and shoulder massage, followed by a facial. Unfortunately during the facial I got extremely nauseous. The gal gave me soda crackers and I felt better. This was about 1.5 hours. Mom had the works done and was there for about 3.5-4.00 hours. Anyway, afterwards, I went and had to hear a lecture on the disembarking procedures. It was interesting, but my tummy couldn't take it and I had to leave about three-quarters of the way through. I went back to our room, laid on the bed and napped. I felt better when I woke up and took another hot-tub soaking. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... it was so beautiful out. They had another BBQ. I went and got mom a plate, but did not want to go through the line again. I really didn't want to eat but went into Raffles and got myself some fruit and a couple small sandwiches. These really did help! Mom was the opposite. She ate all day long it seemed like. She decided to take a nap in the afternoon. I headed down to the chocolate buffet. Oh my Lord, but this is heaven for chocoholics! There was so many people in line, but it only took about 10 minutes to get through it. That was ok, because it enabled to me admire the various ice sculptures. They had a Chinese dragon carved that was about 10 feet long and 3 feet high. There was a horse with wings, like Pegasus and an eagle. They were lit just right and were so beautiful to gaze upon. I took pictures of them, but not the buffet as they kept herding us through telling us to keep moving! I took one small plate back to our room, then I ran upstairs for coffee so that we could kick back and enjoy the sweets. My favorite was a rum/raisin cake dipped in chocolate! Mom's was the mousse. It was all very good. We were ready to head back to Seattle! By then we were tired and decided to grab a tray from Raffles. Now, mind you that was NOT the best place to eat, but it was very convenient to us. Some little titbits to impart: My mom had a favorite spot on the promenade deck and when she got up at 5:00 a.m. she would head over to the Blue Lagoon, get her coffee and sit out on the deck, smoking and drinking...lol coffee.... She is a chatter box and made many acquaintances. She loved it there and I could pretty much count on her being there. I loved going to the hot tubs (5) total. Sit there in the hot water 104.5 degrees and watch the mountains go by. It was so lovely and relaxing. I probably went 4-5 times in the evenings. I was so exhausted from our day trips though I usually was in bed by 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. One night I fell asleep in my clothes at about 6:30-7:00 p.m.! I'm sure I am forgetting something, but it was just so much fun, so much to do. Oh yeah, one night mom and I had drinks, she finally got her Long Island Tea, I got a Pina Colada. She didn't like the tea so I switched with her. She got sick at her stomach from it. 14 Sep 2005 - Link to photos - Alaska! I'm working on the link right now for the photos. I've not organized them yet, but will this weekend, but I have had a lot of request. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jj_jaylene/my_photos

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by jaylene

• Sail Date: September 2005
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Inside
We set sail for our next destination. Juneau.
09/06/05
09/7/05 Skagway.
That was our last port of call.
09/09/05.
I'm sure I am forgetting something, but it was just so much fun, so much to do.
14 Sep 2005 - Link to photos - Alaska!
jaylene’s Full Rating Summary