3. Westerdam
We had read several reviews of the Westerdam - some were good, some were bad. We had previously cruised Alaska on Celebrity's Summit, and loved it. I'm happy to say that the Westerdam was just about as good. The ship is huge, but it is very easy to navigate. It does take a long time to walk from the front to the back, but it helped in burning off the excellent food! If the Summit's food was a 9.5, I would rate the Westerdam's as an 8.75, almost a 9. The food in the dining room was consistently well prepared, with excellent choices and nice serving preparation. The portions were small, but you could order anything you wanted - even doubled on a favorite appetizer or entree. We almost always had breakfast at the Lido restaurant buffet, which was consistently good and fresh. Eggs were made to order, ham steaks were sliced to order, and the sausages were yummy! We had dinner up there once when we were too tired to dress for the dining room, and they were serving much of the same good food. The specialty restaurant(Pinnacle Grill) was truly tasty - excellent Filet Mignon and Chocolate Volcano cake - well wort the extra 20$ per person. The fresh fruit throughout the cruise was surprisingly good! Our cabin was nicely appointed with a small but functional veranda - which helped to make the room feel larger. The beds (as noted in other reviews) were spectacular - much like our fabulous pillow top bed at home. You were able to fit one large suitcase under the bed - which helped with storage. 3 large closets fit all of our clothing quite comfortably. As on all cruises, the bathroom was small - but very clean and functional. We didn't use the tub to bathe (used the hot tubs by the pools) but it was good to have so water didn't get all over the place. Soaps, shampoo, and towels were constantly updated and made available. We only saw two shows (just fair) but the staff in the casino were really fun and made my winning even better! Overall, the staff on the ship were great - they learn your names and always have a smile. We bought a soda card for my partner for 40 dollars as he drinks lots of diet coke. I hear most ships charge for soft drinks, it's a shame but they do. We don't drink alcohol, but the 2 drinks that I did buy were delicious and only cost 4 to 6 dollars. The ports: Tallinn Estonia - cute, cobblestone, and strangely expensive and touristy. We had some misty rain, which didn't help. Not bad for a first stop. I hear the prices are much lower outside the tourist area, but we didn't know where. St. Petersburg Russia - Fantastic! I definitely recommend a private tour. We used Red October and couldn't have been more happy with the results! The six people on our two day tour saw three times as much as the big bus tours, went to the front of all the lines, and paid a lot less. Do a google search for them - Red October tours. Helsinki - OK, go on your own, the stuff is all in the center. Stockholm - hands down the most Beautiful city in all of Europe! Clean, easily accessible on foot and by ferry(the islands), it rocks! Wasa museum and outdoor city of Skansen on same island are a must! Old town doesn't need a tour! Visby, Sweden (on island called Gotland) surprise jewel of our trip. Tour on your own - you can walk the old walls in just over an hour - what a cute place! Wannemunde Germany - we have been to wonderful Berlin before, so we went to the city of Rostock and beachside town of Wannemunde. Wannemunde is too cute for words - like Provincetown. On the whole - a great cruise, ENJOY!

Westerdam - Northern Europe

Westerdam Cruise Review by jay gitter

On the whole - a great cruise, ENJOY!
jay gitter’s Full Rating Summary