3. Celebrity Solstice
Our group of 3 couples had great expectations for this 7 night Thanksgiving cruise. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean and Princess previously, but this was our first time on Celebrity. Based on the mostly awesome reviews and feedback from friends we were expecting to be bowled over. All reports seemed to point to Celebrity being a class above the other lines. After this cruise experience, I would have to say - different, and better in some areas, but not all. We had an outside cabin with a verandah and I must say that the rooms and especially the bathrooms are the best I've seen so far. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was especially nice with a good sized shower and lots of storage space. Our room attendant kept it neat and quickly responded to our request for wine glasses and ice. Food: We ate dinner in the main dining room and in my opinion, the service and the food were disappointing. The portions were so small that some of the men in our group were talking about the buffet pizza even before dinner was finished. Some of us ordered a glass of wine each night, so we had to wait for the sommelier to take our wine order. He seemed insulted when we asked to look at the wine list instead of ordering the one he recommended. One evening I debated about having my husband walk across the hall to Winemasters because our guy was apparently too busy to take care of us. Our waiter didn't bother asking the rest of the group if they wanted a beverage other than wine so anyone who wanted a coke was out of luck. This was very disappointing to me. On our last RCL cruise the waiters knew our names and our preferences (including the one in our party who always ordered a diet coke) after the first night. Also disappointing was the fact that there were no decorations anywhere on the ship to recognize the Thanksgiving holiday. No cornucopias, no fall flowers, no pumpkins carved with images of pilgrims...nothing! The buffet was just ok. The waffles were a high point but you never knew quite where to stand if you wanted an omelet or cooked to order eggs so we went to the dining room for breakfast if we wanted something special. We only ate dinner there one night and most of the food in the buffet was dry and lukewarm. My husband does not drink tea or coffee so it was nice that they had lemonade & juice in the dispensers. Activities: The glass blowing was fun to watch...once. We went to one dance class - possibly the worst dance instructors we've ever seen. We left halfway through. We went to the Cirque type show and enjoyed that and also enjoyed the various musicians, especially the acapella group. It seems though that some of the areas on the ship are under utilized. The Sky Lounge is huge and should have been the venue for the 60's party instead of the Main Lobby area. Overall, I would have liked more interactive activities. Sometimes we found ourselves wandering around with nothing to do. If you happen to be up past 10:00 most of the lounges are dead. Overall: We love cruising and any day on a cruise is better than being at work. Maybe our expectations were too high, but I feel that having had the Celebrity experience, I'll probably go back to Princess or RCL before I try Celebrity again.

Solstice Thanksgiving Cruise

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by louwoz

Food:

Activities:

The glass blowing was fun to watch...once.

Overall: