3. Island Princess
Why did I choose this cruise? I have no recollection of why I chose Princess again after a mediocre world cruise experience in 2018. What could I have been thinking? What "offer" caught my attention and convinced me to ignore my "never Princess again" decision? Whatever it was, it was a mistake to book another long cruise with this pitiful line. I had hoped, I suppose, that the Island Princess, being a larger ship, would offer a better experience than the smaller Pacific Princess had. The ship itself is past its prime and is beginning to mirror the image of the faded blondes and paunchy men surrounding its numerous bars. In the two month journey around the perimeter of South America the windows of the ship collected grime and salt and were more a hindrance than an aid to viewing the sights we were passing. The early morning sail down "glacier alley", when we sat in the Lido restaurant with our coffee and breakfast hoping to view the glaciers, was an exercise in futility, as the windows were so dirty and streaked we couldn't see through them. Enrichment offerings were disappointing and seemed to ignore or avoid any information or connection with the countries we were sailing past, except for a few early morning talks by a man with an impenetrable accent which were not available later on room TV. Shopping seemed to be the main concern. Our hopes to be informed about Chilean and/or Argentinian wines were squelched and when we questioned the dining officers, being given the "fisheye" and dismissed. Seminars on Italian and French wines were offered however. The menus adequate, if somewhat repetitive in the dessert category. Dinner rolls however were exemplary, fresh, wonderfully crusty and fragrant.

Unrealized opportunities

gulfcoastcat’s Full Rating Summary
Get Island Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin ME
Nice closet, armoire. Sofa very uncomfortable. Darkening drapes raggedy. Bathroom inaccessible to someone my height (5'3"). Tub too deep, towel bars too high, hand-held shower (had to request installation) had no place to set it during shower, corner shelves in tub too high. Toilet out of order twice during trip. Air-con needed to be fixed (app. 5 hrs.) at start of voyage. Adequate drawer storage except no desk drawer.
Baja Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins