Marina Cruise Review

Marina Cruise Review by DMRochen

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

I was very disappointed with this cruise after having a wonderful experience on the Nautica last January on a cruise from South Africa. I found the entertainment average, although the staff entertainment was very good. The shore excursions were very poor. The guides were good, but I found none of the sites at all interesting. At the excursion in Cozumel they put us on a bus for a tour of the island where the bus had heavy screening covering all the windows, so you couldn't see out. Several of the ports, ie: Costa Maya only had excursions that were rated moderate (scuba diving) or strenuous. They should have had other choices. The ship activities, I felt, were not varied. They were they same every day - Mensa, trivia, lectures, bingo. They seemed to be geared to a college graduate, highly educated crowd, but very little just to have fun. The shops sold high end expensive merchandise, nothing souvenir like or representative that you might want to bring home.

HOWEVER - my main complaint was the food which I felt was substandard, especially for a cruise line that advertises itself for its gourmet food. I have never returned so many dprovided.ishes because they were inedible. The meat was tough, the fish overcooked, the vegetables undercooked, the cookies I couldn't eat (and I love cookies). Portions - main dish: scallops 3, raviolli 4, beef wellington size of half a dollar! The best food - the ice cream. I lost 4 pounds on the cruise. With food choices on the menu that I was not sure what they were, I asked the waiter, and, on multiple occasions, then waiters were not able to explain to me what the item was. Once I wanted to order fish and the waiter told me not to orders the fish was dry and once I wanted to order steak and the waiter said don't because the meat was tough. On days where shore excursions lasted over the lunch hours and meals were not provided as part of the tours, the only food available was at the Wave's Grill, which could not accommodate the number of people coming off tours who needed to eat. On all other cruise lines where we have sailed, accommodations have been provided.

In summary, I am very disappointed by this experience and will not cruise with Oceania again!

DMRochen's Full Rating Summary

Penthouse Suite

The suite was satisfactory and was clean. It needed updating, but I knew it was going in to dry dock in April. The pillows were very soft feather pillows. When I asked for firmer, preferably non feather pillows, I was told there were none available. It meant sleeping for my wife and I very uncomfortable for the 16 nights.

Magnificent but very difficult and time consuming to get there and very expensive trip. Rainy season and rained while there, lot of climbing, at site for 3 hours for a 4 day trip.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Fuerte Amador (Balboa)

Took train ride along canal from Pacific to Atlantic and bus back. Enjoyed it.

Puerto Limon

Ship did not dock due to poor weather conditions.

Harvest Caye

Good tour guide but poor tour, very uninteresting. Glass bottom boat, shopping in little tourist town, cameo shop - not worth the time.

Costa Maya

Only tours available were moderate (scuba diving) or Maya ruins (extensive) as far as walking, climbing, etc. - nothing easy.

tour in bus with heavy screen covering windows, making it impossible to see out. chocolate factory was a demonstration, not a factory, chocolate expensive, Bee Sanctuary saw a few bees.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Glass Bottom Boat

good tour guide, poor tour. glass bottom boat, shopping time in village, cameo factory

View All 42 Glass Bottom Boat Reviews