3. Jewel of the Seas
We took this cruise mainly due to the fact that the package Royal Caribbean was offering two nights post cruise stay at the Atlantis the Palms in Dubai. It seemed like a nice way to end the cruise The ship is showing its age. Most days it was not possible to walk around deck 5 as there was always parts of the deck sectioned off for maintenance. There's nothing quite like the sound of an industrial sander removing rust while you are trying to get a bit of fresh air. Once again, I believe Royal Caribbean do not examine their passenger list and tailor the cruise accordingly. It would appear that he same activities, entertainment etc get rolled out despite who is on board. A prime example is this cruise which had most people over 50 on board. My wife and I liked to head up to deck 13 at night to relax in the lounge with a coffee before bed. However in the lounge there, they have piped disco music blaring out, even when it was empty. We asked if the volume could please be turned down but nothing ever happened. Another thing which I can't understand is their choice of staff to host the trivia events. You wouldn't expect a person who couldn't play the piano to give a recital, or expect someone who can't sing to be up on stage in a musical. So why have some young lady from Mexico trying to ask trivia questions, continually asking for our pardon as she doesn't speak english very well. Away from trivia, entertainment was poor. Only one headliner act for the whole week. A foursome singing soul music which although I personally like, was not to everyones taste. The singers and dancers tried their best was their shows were something more akin to a holiday camp. As for the cruise director Andrea, if I hadn't gone to a couple of the evening shows during the cruise I would never have seen him. Certainly not in the same league as Joff Eaton, Hello Clo or Luke Arrowsmith. Remember when cruise directors used to be seen mingling with the guests each day ? - I guess those days are gone. For dining, from what I can see most people now prefer not to visit the Main Dining Room and it's easy to understand why. Service is way too slow & the food always arrives cold. We tried it a couple of times with the same results so opted for the buffet for the remainder of the cruise. Also, this is the first Royal Caribbean cruise I have been on that didn't serve lobster any evening. RC should remember that for some people, a lobster night is a traditional part of the holiday.and will probably try another cruise line if this is done away with to save a few bucks

What no lobster ?