3. Koningsdam
We chose the holiday cruise expecting to see the ship all decked out. There were a couple of small Christmas trees, an electric train that moved around a village, and a scene made of plastic, featuring Dutch windmills, but I can't recall anything else. Our cabin with veranda was comfortable and the steward and assistant did a good job. They kept the cabin clean and replenished towels as needed. The servers in both the dining room and Lido provided excellent service. We should have asked more questions prior to booking excursions. We found out that some of the roads were extremely bumpy in the OpenAire 4x4. Another excursion had a lot of steps to climb. In all cases the driver and tour guides were pleasant, readily answering questions and helped guests needing help getting on and off the vehicles. Dinners served in the dining room did not meet expectations. I think that is because there are so many specialty restaurants with upcharges on the ship that they did not want to compete with regarding quality. We did enjoy the food served on the Lido deck. The French fries served at the Dive In are the best I ever had. Dinner companions were very friendly congenial and that was the best part of the excursion. We have had several cruises on Holland America ships but after this cruise we would need to think hard about taking another. I need to commend Holland America on the expedited embarkation and disembarkation plans they enacted. Both were easy and did not take much time.

The best things about the cruise were the staff and congenial travelers.

Koningsdam Cruise Review by lovingcruisers

The servers in both the dining room and Lido provided excellent service.

lovingcruisers’s Full Rating Summary