3. Midnatsol
I choose this cruise after seeing an advert in the newspaper offering free flights to Argentina. This is a very expensive holiday, so anything to help with costs was gratefully received! Other passengers also responding to this advert. As an additional point re costs, as a solo traveller I was expected to pay an expensive single supplement, which is so, so tiresome. I took my daughter to share the experience with me. But not all travellers can afford to do this. I could not fault the ship, our cabin, the hospitality and expedition crew. All was superb and above expectations. The varied cuisine is prepared fresh each day. As an 'expedition-cruise' rather than 'cruise-cruise', there was not the usual karaoke entertainment. The expedition crew members where all highly experienced, skilled, knowledgeable and some highly educated. All were very friendly and approachable with a great sense of humour! There were daily lectures on all aspects of Antartica: from how penguins keep their feet warm to a brilliant presentation on climate change, that was neither dense, dusty or patronising. Lectures covered history, current treaties as well as animal, bird and plant life of the area. All were held in the comfortable lecture theatre and repeated due to high demand. Some of us took part in the Citizen Scientist programmes, such as taking samples of the life in the sea and measuring the density of the water in terms of plankton content. Believe me after this expedition you too will return feeling so well informed! My daughter initially hesitated to come as 'it was cold' and she liked sunny climates. However the weather was kind, the sun shone and the Drake Strait was a lake on the outward and return trip. With appetites whetted, both she and I now want to explore the area more by going to The Falklands and South Georgia. Finally this was my first cruise and travelling in a large group, we were 434 guests on board. This had an impact on the bottlenecks, such as getting on and off buses going to and from destinations and at the airport.

Discovered my inner Polar explorer on an expedition to the Antartica.

Midnatsol Cruise Review by rosemaryJG

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Antarctica

rosemaryJG’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Midnatsol price drops

Moderate size. Very clean. Bathroom had underfloor heating useful for drying clothes!