3. Disney Wonder
My husband and I joined his family for a June 2018 cruise in southeastern Alaska on the Disney Wonder for a week of fun, with grandparents (65 years), brothers and wives (34-38 years), and kids (1-5 years). While the kids definitely got the most out of it, we all had an enjoyable time aboard. The Disney Wonder staff catered wonderfully to our niece and nephews - almost to a fault, since there were a few times at dinner the adults sat waiting past appetizers for drinks as the waiter did multiple magic tricks for the kids. The Wonder had three restaurants with five (I think) themes, so the menu was always changing and highlighting different foods (seafood at King Triton’s, for example). The food was decent, but usually light on seasoning and warm rather than hot. However, that suited the 3 and 5 year olds in our party quite nicely. For a private night, my husband and I did their specialty extra cost restaurant, but I wouldn’t say it was a necessary addition for the trip. The final night in Animator’s Palace where we saw our drawings come to life was the hit of the cruise for the kids, along with the abundance of character meet and greet opportunities. Be warned - get in line early for character photos since folks, especially adults, could get a little competitive and some characters only appeared in a themed costume once or twice (Mickey and Minnie had cute Alaskan winter outfits they wore one day, and had their fancy outfits for the final night). The princesses were incredibly gracious and kind to my shy 3 year-old niece, taking time to kneel down and beckon her over when she hid behind us shyly. Cinderella especially spent extra time with each child and made them feel special. Spring for the Princess High Tea onboard, and get your reservation early - it was worth it!! There were a lot of choices for shore excursions at all price and physical activity levels - more than the giant Allure of the Seas selection from 2013, so many I had to start an excel spreadsheet to narrow down our options! In the end, we picked the summer dog sled camp in Skagway, Juneau’s Mount Roberts Tramway, and the scenic cruise/beach bonfire picnic in Ketchikan, and we were not disappointed, especially when a humpback whale came to play beside us. Spring for the shore excursions - we paid between $75-170 per excursion each, and it was a great value! At times, once the kids went to bed, we found ourselves looking for something to do, and as fans but not super fans of Disney, sometimes it felt a little limiting and lacking adult diversions that didn’t involve booze. Our interior cabin was an average cabin with above average television selection! Much appreciated since I was ill the first rocky day at sea and stayed in with the lights off and tv on softly. The bathroom shower/tub combo was definitely child sized, and a struggle for my poor 6’1 husband. However, it was split so someone could use the toilet in one half while someone bathed in the other which seemed brilliant for people traveling with kids and more than 2 people in a cabin, like my brother in laws. Our cabin steward was friendly to the point of mildly irritating - every time we saw him, we’d need to update him on our day and comings and goings, which got tedious. Although I loved the shore excursions and restaurants onboard, the focus onboard is on the kids (as it should be!), so we’ll likely wait until after we have kids to do another Disney Cruise.

Very Good Cruise for Young Families

Ages 3 to 6
Get Disney Wonder price drops

Deluxe Inside Stateroom
Cabin 10B
Our interior cabin was an average cabin with above average television selection! A food out couch and a fold down platform provide at least two more spaces for sleeping, although adding a crib even with the fold out/pull down and it becomes pretty crowded. The bathroom shower/tub combo was definitely child sized, and a struggle for my poor 6’1 husband. However, it was split so someone could use the toilet in one half while someone bathed in the other which seemed brilliant for people traveling with kids and more than 2 people in a cabin, with sinks in both sections.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins