3. Columbus
We chose this cruise as it was on offer on front page of a local free paper, and sailing from our local port only 20 mins away. As a first break together after several years of health problems expectations were high. The ship itself externally and internal décor looked somewhat 'tired' in places. Food overall was good, although fish dishes were sometimes dry. Cabin was a twin, not double as expected and seemed smaller than pictured, but loads of storage space, safe and a fridge were pleasant surprise. Cleaning of wash basin was poor, and pop-up waste faulty (after 2nd or 3rd time my husband fixed it himself). Once ran out of toilet rolls and my husband had to go and find some - a real issue at the time! Bar staff and waiting staff were terrific, for the most part, very attentive and cheerful. Entertainment (the 3/4 shows I saw) was ok, but of variable quality. However the musicians (guitar duo and piano/violin duo) were very good indeed. Rules in and around pool areas were not enforced initially, allowing sunbeds to be hogged and children to monopolise pools with inflatables etc. This was addressed quite quickly on the hot tub deck, and three quarters of the way through the cruise on the pool deck, but only after people complained, we understand. The one excursion (Gibraltar Rock Tour) we went on was good but overpriced. Despite these criticisms we enjoyed ourselves. However I would like to know how passengers who booked last minute and paid much less were allocated a cabin with a balcony? Do you not allocate the best cabins first to those who paid more?

Overall an enjoyable experience, some room for improvement though.

Columbus Cruise Review by roscooper

roscooper’s Full Rating Summary
Get Columbus price drops

The brochure picture gave the impression of a larger cabin and we would have preferred a double bed. However storage space was excellent and we were pleased to have a safe and a fridge. However attention should be given to the floor which was very uneven with some projecting items under the carpet which I kept catching my foot on.